Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Monday, August 9, 2010 11:33 AM, CDT
The Hannah's Hope Gala was amazing. The most powerful part for me was being in a room surrounded by over 200 other people who CARE, really care, about childhood cancer and it's effects on children and their families.

It still astounds me that we are associated with pediatric cancer. I can't believe that my precious first born son, my only child, was diagnosed with cancer, treated for it, and died as a result of the complications of cancer's treatment. I can't believe that my baby's name was ever on that hospital door. I can't believe that we spent nearly 18 months fighting cancer and about 11 months living inside a hospital room. I can't believe that my son didn't survive.

I never imagined this when I dreamed about my child.

And I haven't met a parent yet that ever thought it would be their baby fighting cancer - until the day it happened.

So many people have told us that they "can't imagine" what we are going through, what we have been through. But I'm asking you to imagine it today. Imagine it was your child, just for a moment, even though it is painful. What would you want if a doctor told you that your child had cancer? You would want that doctor to tell you that everything is going to be ok. That they can fix this. That your child will get through this.

But the doctors who have made it their life's work to try to heal sick babies with cancer are not in the business of giving false assurance. They promised to do everything they could to help Collin fight this. But not one person ever told us that Collin would survive till Kindergarten. Not one person promised us he would be ok. In fact, we were told his chance of surviving was just 50%, one in two. Imagine that number applied to your child.

Imagine it. Imagine how awful that would be.

And then help us - those who have been there. Those who will have to go there. Help the doctors and researchers that are trying to find better ways to treat these babies. Help the parents who are trying to do anything to help their baby.

Consider the following options.

1. Financially support pediatric cancer research so that treatments will be more effective and the cure rates will go up. Chemotherapy and radiation are toxic and traumatic and utterly awful and better methods are needed. curesearch.org unites the world's largest childhood cancer research organization, the Children's Oncology Group, and the National Childhood Cancer Foundation, in order to fund research to find a cure for childhood cancer.

2. Help families pay non-medical expenses such as alternative housing near a major medical center, travel expenses, day-to-day expenses, and job loss in order to be a full time caregiver. HannahsHopeFoundation.org is an organization in our area that is doing exactly that.

3. Send toys and meal gift certificates to the oncology unit at your local children's hospital. Bring a home-cooked or take-out meal to a family who has been caring for a sick child. (Truthfully, there were weeks when I would eat oatmeal twice a day and a microwave meal for dinner because I had no energy or desire to cook anything while Collin was in the hospital for months at a time.)

I consider everyone who is reading this, who has kept up with Collin's story to be our Caringbridge family. You have been an amazing support for us and have been so generous. We have the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of children with cancer and their families. Last I checked, there were about 400 people who receive email updates on Collin. I know there are more who follow his story. If each person who gets an email would donate just 10 dollars a month, each month, to any of these organizations we could raise nearly $50,000 dollars a year to support pediatric cancer research and the children and families affected by it.

Imagine that!

I'm humbling myself and asking for your help. Today, next month, and next year. Please help. For Collin, for Hannah, for Adam, Riley, Lillie, Patrik, Alden, Keith, Willamina, Hannah Grace, Amelia, Alan, and so many more. For the babies who will be diagnosed today, tomorrow and the next day. For the babies that will die today, tomorrow and the next day. Please help.

Do not withhold good from those who deserve it, when it is in your power to act. Proverbs 3:27

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts
Amen.

·
No hero that's understood
6,100 Posts
Thanks for posting this. It continues to be really tough for me to read and think about Phil and family and to envision their strength and struggles.

It also points out that I really need to get off my lazy a$$ and do more.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
Knowing Collin's story and seeing eleven other names is really difficult. Each one has such a story...

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Phil & Emily's outward focus, in light of their own loss, is truly inspiring to me.

I would hope to have half thier fortitude if faced with the same thing.

Len

1 - 5 of 5 Posts