Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Did he fart in the ref's general direction? Did he call his mother a hamster? Did he say his father smelled of elderberries?

·
Proud luddite
7,236 Posts
Geez, people....he's only the greatest soccer player in the world for the last few years, or at least he's right up there with Ronaldo. I am not a huge soccer fan but even I know that.

I guess he's had it with representing Argentina and has quit playing for the national team after yesterday's match. He'll still play for his club team though. I think he's also in the midst of a major tax evasion case, and I don't know if he might be facing jail time if that's still going on. Apparently being Messi is rather messy.

·
Registered
873 Posts
He's the new Beckham basically.
Beckham was OK, but he's no Messi.

Unfortunately, soccer is a lot like cycling, in that the rest of the world kind of gets it and the Ol' USofA is very "meh" on the whole thing. I've given over, I find the NBA and MLB completely unwatchable. I still pay a little attention to the NFL but compared to Futbol, it's really tedious and slow. The stop/go, stop/go of a 3 hour game is losing me.

Someday, both soccer and cycling will have their day in the US.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
Beckham was OK, but he's no Messi.

Unfortunately, soccer is a lot like cycling, in that the rest of the world kind of gets it and the Ol' USofA is very "meh" on the whole thing. I've given over, I find the NBA and MLB completely unwatchable. I still pay a little attention to the NFL but compared to Futbol, it's really tedious and slow. The stop/go, stop/go of a 3 hour game is losing me.

Someday, both soccer and cycling will have their day in the US.
I believe soccer is the forth or fifth most popular sports in the US (neck and neck with Hockey). One thing that probably holds it back for tv coverage in the US is the lack of stoppage of play for commercials; although if they broke away from the game for a few minutes you probably wouldn't miss anything other than the ball being kicked up and down the field several times and maybe a couple of players flopping. Cycling is another matter. Unless there is another US star like Lance (before we knew he was a dirtbag) the US is not going to be interested in cycling.

I see the next big breakthrough sport as curling

·
disgruntled pigskin fan
3,224 Posts
Only know b/c a niece and nephew play soccer.

He's the new Beckham basically.
He's bigger than Beckham. He's arguably the greatest active player in the most popular sport in the world. I was going to start a thread on UEFA Euro 2016, but figured it would not get much input. The disaster by England (or triumph by Iceland) was brilliant TV yesterday.

704 Posts
He's bigger than Beckham. He's arguably the greatest active player in the most popular sport in the world.
Some people (myself included) would argue he is the greatest of all time.

To prior posters, Soccer is not like basketball where a superstar like LeBron or Jordan can take over a game. That rarely happens in soccer. If Higuain scores a gimme, it doesn't even go to PKs. .. oh well.

Euro 2016 has been pretty good so far, cheers to Iceland for bouncing the overconfident English. France is next!

·
Registered
29,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I honestly did not know who he was.
No problem.

Had I not had the chance to watch some World Cup games from the last decade while recuperating I wouldn't have come to appreciate football, er, soccer, for the game it is.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
No problem.

Had I not had the chance to watch some World Cup games from the last decade while recuperating I wouldn't have come to appreciate football, er, soccer, for the game it is.
Its been a while since I watched ANY sport on TV except for selected Tour stages. Its just too time consuming. I used to be major into pro hoops but eventually even that faded. Soccer people often tell me I haven't learned to like it "because you dont understand the subtleties of it". That may be true but I dont have the patience to attempt that

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.