Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
from Kona Dew to CX bike?

hello! i am very new to this forum and to CX world. please, can you help me?

-can i make from my Kona Dew a CX bike? its geometry is the same as an ordinary CX bike: HA 72degree, SA 73degree, CS 440mm.
-is the frame and fork strong enough for CX? the frame is 7005 Butted Aluminum, same as Kona Jake-The-Snake CX bike. the fork is Kona P2 700c, same as Kona Jake CX bike.
this is my SS-KonaDew

i am waiting your opinions!
thanks,
Mircea

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
mircea100%vegetarian said:
ooo no, it will break!?
...even though it is made by the same material (7005 Butted Aluminum) as the other CX bikes?
...not for racing, just a little off-road?
what do you think? :sad:
If you choose to ignore my advice, don't come crying to me when your bike breaks into pieces.

·
raging results nerd
925 Posts
cyclocross will subject your frame to more stress than having it be shot into space. no frame short of a $3000 custom titanium/carbon one can withstand the incredible horror that is riding across grass. this is why road bikes have to be carried across gravel parking lots. riding cross on that bike will probably maim you so severely you'll wish for death.

just kidding, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
cyclocross will subject your frame to more stress than having it be shot into space. no frame short of a $3000 custom titanium/carbon one can withstand the incredible horror that is riding across grass. this is why road bikes have to be carried across gravel parking lots. riding cross on that bike will probably maim you so severely you'll wish for death.

just kidding, you'll be fine.
that is some very funny business there...

·
Registered
5 Posts
i did a few CX races on a Kona Dew Drop (drop as in the one with drop bars), before upgrading to a nicer bike the following season. It is totally capable and sturdy enough to race, the main drawback is it isn't nearly as light and agile as more expensive and lighter bikes that you'll likely be racing against, but if you're merely racing for the fun of it (which some cyclists can't possibly comprehend) it won't keep you from having a good time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.