Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a mountain biker wanting to start riding a road bike. I know how to turn a wrench and a decent amount about fitting. I'm 6'5" 215lbs so I'm fairly hard to fit and I'm aware of that. I've learned to fit myself. I've been into my favorite LBS looking at road bikes and they put me on the only bike that comes close to fitting me. It was the lowest end bike they had and I didn't want it. I don't need top of the line because I'm just starting out on the road but I also don't want an entry-level bike. I expect to spend about $2K for the bike alone.

Okay, with all that being said - what models should I be looking for? The Trek Pilots are all sold out in my size at the LBS. The Specialized Allez looks very interesting. The Giant OCR is cool too. What about the Motobecanes, I can get a lot more bike for the money but everybody seems to hate BD? I have no idea what I'll need as far as stiffness (except to lose the shox) and I haven't taken any of these bikes out for an official test ride because they don't have demos in my size. Custom bikes are pretty expensive and only come in steel for my price range.

Any advice is welcome!

·
Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
Are there any other shops in a hour + drive. You might make a weekend of it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah there's a ton of them. I live near Boulder, CO so I'm surrounded by bike shops. I'm having problems finding demos in my size.

I'm also looking for some advice on the Motobecane bikes. If I don't have to worry about the frowns at the LBS because I can tune my own bike, what other downsides are there?

·
Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
If you're in Boulder, you should just call the bazillion shops there or in Denver and see if they have any in your size. You could also ask what size they'd recommend. Once you get an idea, Colorado craigslist has tons of top-end bikes.

·
Registered
656 Posts
motobecane/bikes direct has their own dedicated forum here, I would suggest checking it out.

you'll find a lot of positive reviews and some very negative reviews.

With that said, I bought a bike from them. It was nice, for the money. Funny enough a week or so after getting it, I found a great deal on craigslist, so I snatched it up and gave the motobecane to my pops. I liked my new fuji better than the motobecane, but then again it normally cost more than twice as much.

So bottom line...motobecanes are good for the price, but they tend to throw a couple nice components on to lure potential buyers then put a lot of no-names or lower end pieces on as well.

But I would take your motobecane ?s over to their forum. You'll have better luck there.

·
The Dropped 1
670 Posts
Mountain biker that got into road biking for training/fitness and commuting. I didn't go top of the line, but I got a pretty nice bike and wound up with an 07 Roubaix Expert. it is a *****in bike!!

I knew I liked Specialized bikes, and I really liked the SRAM Rival components. Hubby didn't, so he got a Felt Z25.

If you get a chance to check out Felt bikes, I'd suggest doing that as well. His bike was just a tad over the price of mine, but he wound up with Dura Ace for nearly everything except f. derailleur and wheels.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.