·
Banned
8,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's this bike:

(Mine hasn't arrived in the mail yet)

I'm looking for a brake and lever.

Starting with the Lever:
I was hoping to use Paul's E Lever but the 31.7 bars are too much. My other options are:

-Paul's Cross Lever
-Tektro's Cross Lever
-your suggestions?

Or I can swap the bars and go with an E Lever.

To the brake calipers:
-Dura Ace in silver
-Tektro in black
-your suggestions?

Tektro stuff is more friendly on the checkbook. Paul's and Dura Ace are nicer. The cranks are DA so DA calipers will match. Or I can run the Tektro lever w/ DA Calipers.

What do you suggest?

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
Tektro Lever and DA Brake.
I have both on my fixed gear and they are terrific.

·
Banned
8,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jmlapoint said:
Tektro Lever and DA Brake.
I have both on my fixed gear and they are terrific.
Thanks. I'm leaning towards the DA caliper. They are just so pricey. If I can get one to my door for $75 I'll do it.

I know you said Tektro, which one do you use?

What do you think of these?
http://store.icyclesusa.com/cyclocross-top-mount-c2054.aspx

I'm looking for something minimalist.

·
vexatious enigma
4,696 Posts
In my opinion a brake is a brake. They all pretty much work the same regardless. The difference is in weight. My fixed gear has a no name brand (probably Formula or Origin 8) with no real problems.

As for levers. I like a longer handle on mine so I would kinda lean towards the Tektro lever. When it comes to compatibility I see no issues coming up since there should be no proprietary parts and it just needs a cable.

·
Banned
8,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dave Hickey said:
It is drilled on the production models
Dave is correct.
I imagine that is a pretty stiff frame for a street bike...
I haven't seen any reviews on that particular bike so I'll let you guys know how it feels after a few hundred miles, stiffness and all. Then again, I did some centuries on an aluminum specialized s works and that didn't seem to bother my posterior.
waldo425 said:
In my opinion a brake is a brake. They all pretty much work the same regardless. The difference is in weight. My fixed gear has a no name brand (probably Formula or Origin 8) with no real problems.
I know. But part of me wants to match a dura ace caliper with the dura ace cranks. Then I'll take MOTOBECANE off the down tube and put DURA-ACE decals on the chainstays.

·
Cumudgitude
703 Posts
I'm a terrible nerd for Italian kit. I've got NOS Gipiemme calipers and Tektro aero levers. It looks a little hinky on track bars but I've got hand positions out the ying-yang and great braking. I might swap the calipers out for some Campy's but I don't expect any real difference in performance.

$50 for a pair of Gipiemmes here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Old-Stock-G...Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3ef5a2af91

1 - 11 of 11 Posts