Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I switched a couple of years ago, thinking of going back now. What do others do?

·
Registered
405 Posts
I agree

pigpen said:
front = right
But... I'm from the U.K so this set up is normal for road as well.

I do not understand people who's road bike is left = front and switch for cx, thats asking for trouble. Most U.S cx pros still ride front = left and it doesnt seem to slow them down!

·
Registered
813 Posts
dreww said:

I do not understand people who's road bike is left = front and switch for cx, thats asking for trouble. Most U.S cx pros still ride front = left and it doesnt seem to slow them down!
front=left makes more sense to me: left lever equals front brake AND front Der. and vice versa.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dreww said:

It's not hard to switch. It's really just a matter of whether you want to skid up to barriers and pick up your bike or slow and pop up your rear wheel to shoulder.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I switched mine recently when I installed bar-top levers, and I rode this setup in a race for the first time this past weekend. I won't be changing it back. The ability to drag the rear brake from the left bar top while dismounting made me a LOT smoother on dismounts.

·
Registered
405 Posts
jeremyb said:
front=left makes more sense to me: left lever equals front brake AND front Der. and vice versa.
Trouble with this set up is the inability (or difficulty) in slowing the bike down whilst you dismount. With the rear = left you can feather even as you swing your leg over the frame - hard to do the other way round as your right hand is usually now on the top tube.

As I say many top riders have no problem with the left = front - maybe they just dont slow down!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
dreww said:
Trouble with this set up is the inability (or difficulty) in slowing the bike down whilst you dismount. With the rear = left you can feather even as you swing your leg over the frame - hard to do the other way round as your right hand is usually now on the top tube.

As I say many top riders have no problem with the left = front - maybe they just dont slow down!
I notice when doing right side dismounts that it's harder to slow the bike down with just the rear brake, I sometimes have hit it a little hard and ended up skidding a little which is freaky. Left side dismounts (my natural way) with front brake control seems better with weight basically on the middle of the bike (right hand on tt). In a race though, no brakes is best. I think once I'm into the season and feeling smooth I usually never touch the brake.

·
Registered
475 Posts
dummy right, front left

FatTireFred said:
I switched a couple of years ago, thinking of going back now. What do others do?
I run a dummy lever on the right and a front lever on the left, works for me. All my other bikes are set up right=rear left =front and two bmx bikes with just a rear brake with the lever on the right.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Front = Right

It just makes sense. especially if you were riding a motorcycle before having a bike with brake levers on the handlebars.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
seems like a solution looking for a problem, just grab the stupid brake lever and step off the bike. I don't recall ever wishing for more braking coming into the barriers, I think it kind of goes back to an era of slower courses and more barriers. I can't imagine switching during the road season back and forth, but if you want to ride switched all year, go for it. My first real road bike was set up that way for some reason and I rode it switched for 2 years, there are advantages to just having the same setup as the rest of North America if you think about it.

·
More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
wunlap togo said:
In a race though, no brakes is best. I think once I'm into the season and feeling smooth I usually never touch the brake.
This past season I worked a lot on dismounts and I got to the point that I just didn't need brakes for the barriers I encountered in races. I have them left=rear but am thinking about switching back to the "normal" way.

I think for newbies, left=rear feels more secure for the way they enter the barriers. I think it takes quite a bit of work and some experience to give up on the brakes altogether.

Edit: last season was my third racing.

·
Registered
507 Posts
All my bikes are "moto"

FatTireFred said:
I set it up with right = front, never changed back and started changing my other bikes to suit. Why not. I want the twitchier, more powerful and more consequential brake under my more dextrous hand.

Ron

1 - 14 of 14 Posts