Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my Trek 1000 and my front derailer wont shift. Kinda gets hung up, seems like it is trying from the sounds of it, but never makes it into the shift. What should I say to my bike shop besides what i just said? Thanks

·
Registered
334 Posts
Just tell them it won't shift. They'll know how to adjust it. After you put some miles on it, it will need adjusting again as the new cables stretch.

If you feel confident, go out to the park tool website and follow their procedure for adjusting the derailluer.

·
Banned
6,492 Posts
Do express amazement and disappointment, though....

xvwmeister said:
I just picked up my Trek 1000 and my front derailer wont shift. Kinda gets hung up, seems like it is trying from the sounds of it, but never makes it into the shift. What should I say to my bike shop besides what i just said? Thanks
Unless somebody dropped it in the shop (or you dropped it in your garage) it's probably a very simple adjustment. If this is a new bike, though, I think you're justified in being somewhat stiff with the shop about it. Don't be a pr!ck, but I'd wonder aloud how a shop I'd picked for its excellent reputation and fine service department allowed a bike to go out without checking the most basic functions....

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,749 Posts
They'll probably be able to do it while you wait. Agree with others that it is just a cable adjustment when it is dragging between cogs like that. Your description is fine; they'll understand!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.