Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Setup is 10spd Chorus FD and a 10spd Record crank (no carbon). To get a decent shift from the small ring (39) to the big ring (53) the adjustment on the FD causes the crank arm to slightly scrape the outer cage of the FD each revolution. I back off one click, nothing rubs and there's about 1mm or less clearance between the crank arm and the outer cage. Any thoughts about getting a good shift without causing the rub? Chain is in good shape, no stretch. It's an IRD 10spd chain, could this make a difference?

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
appropriate clearances...

I'll first assume that the FD is set to the proper height and the right side of the cage is parallel to the big ring. After that, the high limit screw should be set so there's only .5-1.5mm of clearance between the chain and the inside of the cage when you're in the big ring and smallest cog. If you have to position the cage further to the right, to get a decent shift, then something else is wrong.

I'm not sure I know what you mean by backing off one click. You should be able to adjust the cable tension and high limit screw to position the FD in-between clicks. Are you making some adjustment to both or just one? If you have to lower the cable tension a bit, the worse that can happen is that it take four clicks instead of three to make the shift. The first half click just won't cause any FD movement. The left lever can move through five clicks in one sweep of the finger lever. That's what it takes to shift a triple from the little ring to the middle. You should never need that much cable travel to operate a double FD.

I could be also be the chain, it's one place I'm convinced that Campy has the best value of price compared to longevity and you're insured of compatibility.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I said I could back off one click I meant that when adjusted to make the shift from the small to big ring the crank arm nicks the derailleur cage. I then back off one click so the crank arm doesn't hit the cage and there's no rubbing between the chain and cage and there's about 1mm of clearance between the crank arm and derailleur cage. I checked alignment (height and parallel to big ring) but I'm going to check it again.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
Ok....

Then your high limit screw is too far out, the cage should never be so far to the right that it hits the crank arm. If it won't shift with the limit screw adjusted so the cage clears the crank arm, then something else is wrong.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got it but I'm not totally pleased with the adjustment. The alignment was just a tad off. The rear of the cage was just slightly canted inward. I now have it just a touch outward. Limit screw is adjusted. The shifting is not as crisp and positive as I think it should be. The chain is not stretched but I think I'm going to replace it. Will a Connex link work with the new Campy 5.9 chains?

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Bull but I had already checked Campy's site and Park Tools. I know chains don't stretch but it's a commonly used term that everyone understands.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
campy 5.9

If you get the new ultra narrow chain, be sure to get the shimano version of the connex link. The campy version is too wide. I just got a shmano connex link and tried it with the narrow campy chian. It fits fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts