Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building up a new bike with compact gearing in the front and am looking for the best front shifting possible. what i'm considering is this...
1. Dura Ace shifters with FSA C-16 front D'
2. Dura Ace shifters with Campy compact front D'...this is the option that's most perplexing due to the incompatibilities between shimano and campy.
3. Wait for the SRAM Force gruppo and hope they come with a compact front D' option.

I realize with option 2 many will suggest going for full campy because it's sooooo much better, but I was raised on shimano and have never felt comfortable on campy shifters so that's out of the question.

Anyone have tips, suggestions, or better options?
Thanks

·
Registered
77 Posts
DA 7800 shifters and derailleurs with FSA compact 50/36 chainrings. Note 36 not 34. This comes standard on my Cannondale Synapse and it works great.

Alternatively DA 7800 shifters and derailleurs with Shimano R700 10sp Compact Crankset.

·
Slowpoke
73 Posts
50/36 vs 50/34

sako said:
DA 7800 shifters and derailleurs with FSA compact 50/36 chainrings. Note 36 not 34. This comes standard on my Cannondale Synapse and it works great.

Alternatively DA 7800 shifters and derailleurs with Shimano R700 10sp Compact Crankset.
Have you tried both? I'm curious to find out what the differences are. I have the 50/34 chainrings on my Argon 18 Platinum and find the shifts a little slower, but not bad.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Haven't tried the Shimano compact, however I'm sure it would work flawlessly as they designed it to work with their derailleurs. It's a 50/34 as far as I'm aware.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts