Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I am not the best mechanic and I admit this. But the front derailleur should be a pretty straight forward adjustment and I have been following the Park Tool instructions, but still have issues.
The problem is that I have to over shift to go from the small ring to the middle ring. Meaning I shift well past the middle point to get it into the middle ring, and then shift back to keep the chain from rubbing the inside of the cage.
Also, if going from the large ring to the middle, it shifts straight to the small ring.
The set-up is my project bike which is a mountain bike converted for the road. I have a triple drive train with 8-speed bar end shifters. So road shifters, but still use the mountain derailleur.
Whenever I change cables, I have this problem and I end up fussing a lot and even starting with more cable tension than I would normally have. This would allow me to shift up to the middle ring but then it won’t shift to the large ring unless I change my high limit screw and of course throw the chain off at times.

Tired of this issue, what am I doing wrong?

·
Super Moderator
40,812 Posts
Okay, I am not the best mechanic and I admit this. But the front derailleur should be a pretty straight forward adjustment and I have been following the Park Tool instructions, but still have issues.
The problem is that I have to over shift to go from the small ring to the middle ring. Meaning I shift well past the middle point to get it into the middle ring, and then shift back to keep the chain from rubbing the inside of the cage.
Also, if going from the large ring to the middle, it shifts straight to the small ring.
The set-up is my project bike which is a mountain bike converted for the road. I have a triple drive train with 8-speed bar end shifters. So road shifters, but still use the mountain derailleur.
Whenever I change cables, I have this problem and I end up fussing a lot and even starting with more cable tension than I would normally have. This would allow me to shift up to the middle ring but then it won’t shift to the large ring unless I change my high limit screw and of course throw the chain off at times.

Tired of this issue, what am I doing wrong?
How old is the derailleur, and how much hard use has it seen?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is an old derailleur. Bike was purchased in 1997 as a 7-speed. So this is the original derailleur (7-speed) and changed the shifters from the mountain thumb shifters to 8-speed bar-end.
I would say it has not had a lot of hard use. It is my commuter bike and my commutes are irregular and sometimes months go between use. But I have had this problem ever since I added the road shifters.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,563 Posts
More importantly how old are the chainrings? Do they have any pins or other machined surfaces to help the chain move from smaller to bigger rings? How about the tooth different between rings?

·
Super Moderator
40,812 Posts
More importantly how old are the chainrings? Do they have any pins or other machined surfaces to help the chain move from smaller to bigger rings? How about the tooth different between rings?
I'd think that if it were the rings, the problem would've manifested itself even before he put on the bar-end shifters, yes?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rings are not that old. Maybe around 3000 miles. They are 28-38-50. Not sure if the mountain derailleur and the road shifters are the problem. I seem to read that some folks have issues and others have no problem mixing the two. Also, I am not sure the model of the front derailleur, but the bike came with low end components.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts