Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm a relative newb, having only ridden for short periods of time over the years...though this time is for real! :blush2:

So yesterday, I'm 1/3 of the way through my 3 hr. ride plan and the first thing I notice is the chain jamming, then releasing through a backpedal, when I switched from the big ring to the small ring. No other issue, and kept riding.

Soon after, I noticed I could not shift back to the big ring. Also, while still on the small ring I could only use the biggest 4 cogs, as the rest of the smaller cogs produced horrible derailleur rub. Figured my ride plan was derailed and detoured over to the LBS where, after 2 minutes and $15, it was fixed.

Questions:
-- Is it common to have these derailleur adjustments needed mid-ride? I thought they would be more subtle, not immediate, and wouldn't ruin a ride...leaving time to get them adjusted.

-- The LBS tech wouldn't tell me what he did, I guess harboring his job security....only told me the cable was "too tight". So what kind of adjustment was the most likely thing he did? I will go read the Park Tool site, but have a feeling I will still be in a fog with the terminology and adjustment spots.

Thanks for any info!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, the bike is relatively new, as I bought it used with ~300-400 miles on it. In general, the bike has been great, but the front has always been a little slow to step up to the big ring. With the adjustment it is a lot better. So maybe it wasn't set up right to begin with. I just don't know what looks correct and what doesn't.

I do clean the drivetrain regularly, so I don't think it was unusually dirty...probably only 100 miles since last cleaned/lubed.

I guess I need to read thru the Park Tools site and study a little. I was just perplexed as to why it went south so fast in the middle of a ride...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.