Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to dial in a new Ultegra SL front derailleur clamp on my system6 frame but can't seem to get either of the high or low ends to work properly. I'm using SI cranks. When I'm at the low end, the spring seems to hit the downtube, which doesn't allow it to back out enough. At the high end I'm forced to rotate the body a bit more than what i consider normal just to keep chain from rubbing without falling over the big ring.

Is it possible I need to move the crankset out a bit using spacers?

Paul

·
extremely biased
874 Posts
yes, the black plastic spacers are good for 0.020" each. Cannondale actually makes all the Liquigas spindles with no lip so the mechanics can fine tune the chain line. Use the on the inside of the wavy washer (as in the frame side).

Starnut

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks Starnut. Any guess to how many I should use to get a good typical result? I remember seeing up to 5 can be used. I'm not exactly sure how many I currently have, but it can't be more than 1 or 2, if any.

·
Registered
130 Posts
interesting. i have the same problem on my 2006 six13.. I have 3 black spacers and a wavy washer. running DA7800 from der. the spring is hitting the seattube & Ive had less than reliable front shifting. I'm going to add a couple more spacers and see how it goes.

·
extremely biased
874 Posts
I remember useing 6-7 on a Six13 frame at one point. You must use at least 2 for the wavy washer. Black washer-wavy washer-black washer. I think as long as you don't crush the wavy one flat under correct torque your good.

Starnut

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK I finally got the tool to take the crank off and have put a total of 5 (previously had 3) washers, then the spring. I torque down the crank to maybe 29 newtons and the crank doesn't spin all too well.

Did I miss something? or does the crank re-loosen after a bit of use?

Thanks

·
Naso Unicornis
907 Posts
STARNUT:

Any chance you could post a pic of how "compressed" the waver washer should be?

Thanks,
CHL

P.S. Finally riding my S. Six with SL.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jimbonnet said:
Sounds like you may have too much load on the bearings... is the wavy washer totally smashed flat now? I torque to 27 ft/lbs
I thought that as well, however, I'm using a torque wrench and it is set below the recommended value. In fact it starts to tighten just as the bolt snugs up in the crank.
The spring does however look flat so crank must be pushing against the spring too much. Is this due to the use of 5 spacers? I'm at a loss. Not sure if the bearings are damaged in some way, but it spun freely prior to me adding the spacers.
Does the spring loose its "springness" after some use?

thanks for all the help
Paul

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I gave up and went back to 3 spacers. It appears this crank setup can't tolerate anymore spacers than that. Still not sure what to do with the derailleur spring hitting the frame and being at the limit of adjustment, but it can't seem to be corrected with this crank set. Maybe swaping out the SI and add the adaptor is the answer.

·
Naso Unicornis
907 Posts
ipaul:

On my Super Six, the front derailleur spring is ultra close to the seat tube, although it doesn't hit it. I've put a small frame protector adhesive patch on the seat tube just in case. Like you I have rotated the body of the derailleur to give me a bit more clearance. Fortunately, I have not run into front shifting issues. Is the shifting delayed or completely non existent?

CHL

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The shifting seems to be OK for the most part, but the issue is when on my large rear cog, I can't move the derailleur to a position that doesn't' hit the cage. I'm just finding it tougher to set up than I had recall on other frames. If I could move out the crank a bit, that would have helped.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I have a Synapse that came with a braze on front derailleur mounted to one of the braze on adapters, and the spring also hit the seat tube. I swapped it for clamp on front derailleur and the front derailleur spring no longer hits the seat tube. I'm not sure why Cdale would use the braze on with the adapter clamp, but in any case there is a little bit more clearance with the clamp on front deralleur. Maybe the clamp-ons in that size were out of stock at the time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.