Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I am new to these forums and new to the sport. I just got my first bike (Giant OCR 3) today and I can’t wait for it to stop raining so I can ride.
So here is my problem, I got my bike home and road it around a little and noticed something that I didn’t notice at the bike shop, my front derailleur was not pushing the chain enough for the chain to go into 2nd gear, so I adjusted to little screws to move the derailleur into its correct position. To make a long story short if I adjust it to go from 1st to 2nd gears it will not go from 2nd to 1st, and the other way around, I can’t get it right. I would love to take it back to the bike shop I got it but it is quite a ways away and they are closed for the weekend.
Am I doing something wrong or is there something wrong with the bike?
Thanks

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
The screws on the derailleur are limit screws. They keep the derailleur from moving too far and throwing the chain off the inside or outside of the chainrings. They just affect how far the derallleur cage moves.

Are you sure you were moving the shift lever far enough? Shimano levers have a "trim" to adjust the derailleur cage position in a gear. You have to push the lever quite a ways to shift from the small to the large chainring. The trim lets you adjust the cage without shifting, to account for the chain angle depending on the rear cog that is selected. When you are on a small cog, trim the cage to the right (toward a larger gear). When on a big cog, trim it the other way. Shimano front shifters have 2 or 3 trim positons. They have subtle clicks while the actual shift is a more distinct click.

If the front shifter really isn't shifting the derailleur far enough (it should be a major click not a small click) then the cable needs to be tightened. If there is a cable adjuster then you use that.

Park Tool has a good web site explaining bike maintenance:
http://www.parktool.com/repair/

And if you like working on stuff, then you might also get a book. Zinn's is supposed to be good.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.