Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm close to finishing a new build of a commuter bike with Dia Compe-style ratcheting downtube shifters,but the front derailleur return spring seems stronger than the ratchet/friction system in the downtube shifters. I shift up to the larger chainring, but the derailleur pulls/slips back toward the smaller chain ring. The derailleur is an FSA Gossamer compact double and the downtube shifters are new Dia Compe-style shifters from Velo-Orange. What am I doing wrong? Thanks, all.
 

·
25.806975801127
Joined
·
9,790 Posts
PdxMark said:
I'm close to finishing a new build of a commuter bike with Dia Compe-style ratcheting downtube shifters,but the front derailleur return spring seems stronger than the ratchet/friction system in the downtube shifters. I shift up to the larger chainring, but the derailleur pulls/slips back toward the smaller chain ring. The derailleur is an FSA Gossamer compact double and the downtube shifters are new Dia Compe-style shifters from Velo-Orange. What am I doing wrong? Thanks, all.
I am assuming that you HAVE tightened the screw on the left shifter....

Is the cable slipping? (Another obvious one, but we have to ask....)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PlatyPius said:
I am assuming that you HAVE tightened the screw on the left shifter....

Is the cable slipping? (Another obvious one, but we have to ask....)
Yes. The shifter screw is tightened, and the cable is tightly secured to the derailleur, so the shift lever is getting pulled back as the derailleur slips to it's return position.

Ask away.. I must be doing something dopey, but it's neither of those.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,160 Posts
cable routing...

There are some FDs where is it possible to misroute the cable where it attaches to clamp bolt. If the cable is routed too close to the pivot point on the lever arm, the result can be a shift cable that won't stay in position. Quite a few people discovered this with the 2009 Campy FDs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
C-40 said:
There are some FDs where is it possible to misroute the cable where it attaches to clamp bolt. If the cable is routed too close to the pivot point on the lever arm, the result can be a shift cable that won't stay in position. Quite a few people discovered this with the 2009 Campy FDs.
I had a vague suspicion about that. I'll check out that one. The cable does run up almost against the pivot spring, which seemed too close. Thanks. I'll report back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dooohhh. I got it. I got the cable off the return spring by setting the low set screw, finally. I had tightened the shifter bolt, but re-did it with the shifter set completely back, so the shifter bolt tightened better. So, now all is well. Thanks everyone.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top