Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Ultegra level components, and I just cleaned and relubed my chain today. I can shift up into the large front sprocket, but when I try to shift back down, it rubs like its trying to shift, but doesn't change gears except if I crank hard on the pedals. I'm not sure if I washed away the lube for the pivot points of the front derailleur, or what? I just tried putting a little triflow on the pivot points, but its hasn't helped noticeably.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Friction

You do not need to lube derailleur pivot points. Sounds to me as if you have too much tension on the cable or too much friction along the cable. Check the cable routing. Go to the Park Tool site and read the drill for conecting and adjusting the cable. If your cables are old you may need new cables and cable housings. Try lubricating the front cable while it is disconnected.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
On a bike that new I'd bet your shift cable is catching someplace. Try this:

Shift into a lower gear (smaller chainring). Now check the derailleur cable under the down tube. If the cable feels slack, the problem is either the derailleur or under the bottom bracket shell. If the cable still feels tight, the problem is in either the shifter or the upper derailleur housing.

If the bike ever worked right, don't mess with the limit screws. They don't move by themselves so that's not the problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.