Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just changed my front derailleur from a 105 to an Ultegra. THe problem I am having is when is shift from the large chainring to the small, it snaps pretty hard and makes a louder than normal noise. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Dave

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Normal.

It's the nature of the beast. Front derailleurs are spring-loaded devices, like the hammer of a revolver. When the shifter suddenly releases cable for the large-to-small ring shift, the (stronger) spring in the Ultegra front derailleur slams the cage towards the frame, taking the chain with it. The cage coming to a sudden stop is the noise you hear.

The only way to avoid this is to go back to friction shifting where the rider has complete control over the speed of the cage movement and has, incidentally, an infinite number of trim positions. :)

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Control

wim said:
The only way to avoid this is to go back to friction shifting where the rider has complete control over the speed of the cage movement and has, incidentally, has an infinite number of trim positions. :)
Or switch to a brand that allows FD trim and control of the shift speed.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Keeping up with Junior said:
Or switch to a brand that allows FD trim and control of the shift speed.
Well, you got me on that one! Would that brand name start with a "C" and end with an "o"?

·
9,790 Posts
wim said:
Well, you got me on that one! Would that brand name start with a "C" and end with an "o"?
It would.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Word Up

wim said:
Remember, this aint teh Lounge so be careful how your throw that "C" word around. And not every "C" interaction ends with in an "O", for instance my ex-wife.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Keeping up with Junior said:
Remember, this aint teh Lounge so be careful how your throw that "C" word around. And not every "C" interaction ends with in an "O", for instance my ex-wife.
Noted! :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts