Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I have tried everything. I can not shift from the small ring to the large. When I have the bike on the rack it all works perfectly. The minute I sit on the bike it refuses to shift up to the large ring. It doesn't matter where the limiting screw is set at. I even set it so that when on the rack it over shifts everytime. Get on the bike, there simply is not enough throw there.
Any ideas?
 

·
Kant phuckin sphell
Joined
·
650 Posts
Check

to make sure the bb cable guide is not cruded up with gatorade.
While you ride it pull on cable on downtube with your hand, if it shifts look for problems up near the handle bar. Is something in there obstructing the cable and housing?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the bull said:
to make sure the bb cable guide is not cruded up with gatorade.
While you ride it pull on cable on downtube with your hand, if it shifts look for problems up near the handle bar. Is something in there obstructing the cable and housing?
I checked the cable. The adjustment barrel was a little stiff but otherwise no problems. Like I said I have full shifting when I am rotating the pedals by hand, just not when I am riding. I also checked the bottom bracket but there was no play there either.
 

·
NeoRetroGrouch
Joined
·
6,491 Posts
Roadracer said:
I checked the cable. The adjustment barrel was a little stiff but otherwise no problems. Like I said I have full shifting when I am rotating the pedals by hand, just not when I am riding. I also checked the bottom bracket but there was no play there either.
Looking for clues: Will it shift OK when you start the ride then get bad as you ride? Or is it bad just as soon as you get on? When you get back after the ride does it work on the stand or do you have to adjust it? Can you make it shift while riding by reaching down and pulling on the cable where it goes along the down tube? What equipment? - TF
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TurboTurtle said:
Looking for clues: Will it shift OK when you start the ride then get bad as you ride? Or is it bad just as soon as you get on? When you get back after the ride does it work on the stand or do you have to adjust it? Can you make it shift while riding by reaching down and pulling on the cable where it goes along the down tube? What equipment? - TF
I haven"t even got on the road today, we got three inches of snow. It has been out once this year on the road. Anyway because it is snowing I decided to swap out the wheels and clean up the chain rather than ride my other bike on the trainer.
I litterally can get it to work on the stand, take it down, put it on the rollers and it won't shift up. I can then take it off the rollers put it on the stand and it works.

As for equipment, Ultegra cassette and shifters, FSA compact crank, connex chain and an IRD CD derailure. Last year I occasionally had the problem on the road but I thought it was behind me. As I said it has been on the road once this year with my race wheels and cassette with no problems. I just can't imagine what the problem is.

Thoughts?
 

·
Slowpoke
Joined
·
73 Posts
I'll bet it's because you are applying more torque to the pedals when you shift on the rollers or on the road. Pedal hard in the small ring, then really back off the pressure when you shift so that the chain is easy to push off the small ring and can easily climb up the pins on the big ring. I have the same problem with my FSA compact cranks and derailleur.
How far above the big ring is your derailleur? The closer you can get it (within 1-2 MM), the better your shifts will be.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,876 Posts
Have you tried this?
Put the chain on the smallest cog. Detach the shift cable. Flip the small shift lever several times (or push the knob all the way down if Campy) while pulling the free end of the cable. Re-attach and adjust tension as needed. You need to have all of the cable out of the shifter before attaching the cable to the derailleur.

Al
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
F.derailleur placement

Just start in the big ring ;)

I think your front derailleur might be set up to high above your big chainring. Also, make sure the cage is perfectly parallel with the changring. Sometimes the clamp will twist on the seat tube if not tightened properly.
Good luck!


towerscum
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Al1943 said:
Have you tried this?
Put the chain on the smallest cog. Detach the shift cable. Flip the small shift lever several times (or push the knob all the way down if Campy) while pulling the free end of the cable. Re-attach and adjust tension as needed. You need to have all of the cable out of the shifter before attaching the cable to the derailleur.

Al
Yeah I tried that too. The only thing I really haven't done is to completely disassemble the derailleur and reattach it, but that may be next.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Carbonman said:
I'll bet it's because you are applying more torque to the pedals when you shift on the rollers or on the road. Pedal hard in the small ring, then really back off the pressure when you shift so that the chain is easy to push off the small ring and can easily climb up the pins on the big ring. I have the same problem with my FSA compact cranks and derailleur.
How far above the big ring is your derailleur? The closer you can get it (within 1-2 MM), the better your shifts will be.
I will give that a try. I thought that torque may have something to do with it as well thats why I checked for play in the bottom bracket.

As for the height of the derailleur, are we talking the top of the cage? I will need to check. I just don't get why it worked 3 weeks ago on the road but not yesterday inside.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright I have tried all the suggestions and still no go. In frustration I carried it outside barefoot through the snow to test it on the road. It shifts, not perfectly, but it shifts. It seems to work better if I shift the rear at the same time. Also seems to only work if there is very little load, so no shifting up hill. All this suggests to me that there must be some play in the bottom bracket somewhere, but I can't see any. I tried toeing the derailleur out; no help. I tried totally unloading my right foot; no help.
What are your thoughts? I even reversed the chain! This is driving me nuts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
New thought - worn big ring?

I played around with it some more and I can get it to shift on the rollers, but again it likes to shift if I am shifting the back at the same time. I did this by rotating the derailuer so that the pick up kicks out. My thought is that maybe I have a problem with the big ring pick up tooth. There does seem to be one which is chipped. There are not much than 3000 miles on it, any thoughts on a replacement?
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top