Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got a front dura ace 9 speed shifter from e-bay which I thought was a triple when I swing the shifter it only give one big shift, could I have gotten a double how can you tell?? By looking at some of the auction on e-bay, the 7703 front shifter would have label triple on the front plate.Thanks!!!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Triple derailleur will be stamped "7703" on the mech somewhere.

Indexing is in the brifter, not at the derailleur. Dura-Ace "features" double- and triple-specific left brifters - need to match brifter w/ derailleur.

Ultegra left brifter, OTOH, will index-shift either double or triple.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
skyline377 said:
I just got a front dura ace 9 speed shifter from e-bay which I thought was a triple when I swing the shifter it only give one big shift, could I have gotten a double how can you tell?? By looking at some of the auction on e-bay, the 7703 front shifter would have label triple on the front plate.Thanks!!!
Roll up the rubber. It will say 7703 if it is a triple. DA-9 shifters are NOT made for both double and triple. - TF

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The ad on ebay said 3 speed which got me thinking I was a triple, When I got the shifter yesterday something didn't seem right, I email the seller and he admit his mistake so I send the shifter back today.Thanks for all your help!!!

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
the bull said:
Wrong

A triple shifter does a double just fine.
You may have found the shifting acceptable; I haven't tried it. But Shimano made double and triple specific shifters in the 7700 series. I would think that it would be good practice to inform others in your posts that your opinion does not agree with Shimano's recommendations. - TF

·
Kant phuckin sphell
650 Posts
Actually, I am the backbone of Shimano. I desigined those shifters with the help of 3 other engineers. The ratchets inside will work perfectly for the amount to throw needed for a double. The only reason I am not working for Shimano now is because I was fired for making shifters that fail so rapidly.

So with this tidbit of info I suggest getting the triple shifters found so commonly on ebay when your doubles fail!

:p

Added:

BTW: Its on Shimano's own site right here:

http://bike.shimano.com/publish/con.../compatibility_charts/road_compatibility.html

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.