Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every time I go into the drops the front of my bike starts making an annoying creaking sound every time I pedal. Does anyone happen to know what could cause this?:mad2:

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
Consider the noise coming from somewhere remote from the front of the bike. Maybe you're weighting the front of the saddle, when you go into the drops & pedal, and it creaks. Remove it, lube the rails slightly and re-tighten.

·
9,790 Posts
Consider the noise coming from somewhere remote from the front of the bike. Maybe you're weighting the front of the saddle, when you go into the drops & pedal, and it creaks. Remove it, lube the rails slightly and re-tighten.
What Mike said.
Also, check your stem faceplate bolts. Might want to check your handlebar for cracks too, although that's much less likely.

·
BIGchainRING
321 Posts
A thought on a creak from the front...

My bike has an integrated headset. There was a creak coming from the front when I would hit a bump in the road and when I would stand up while pedaling.

I took off the stem and removed the fork. The headset bearings had some black goo (a mix of dirt and grease) on them. I cleaned everything up, checked to see if the bearings were still good (they were), put on a fresh light coat of grease in the cups and headset, and reinstalled everything.

Creak gone.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Had creaks that you would have thought were from the BB when you would stand and crank up a climb, reality - front skewer loose.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
As mikerp and Pitts Pilot said, I was POSITIVE my bottom bracket was creaking. My buddy said "Nah, it's the front skewer" I ignored him. Kept listening... listening... standing... sitting... Yep - still positive it was the BB and talked about how I'd take it all apart later... At the next light, he convinced me to reseat the front wheel. The light turned green, and I rode away in silence. dumfounded.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,981 Posts
I had a creaking noise that I just couldn't find. I looked for weeks, tore the whole bike down & found nothing. One day when riding on glass smooth pavement I noticed the creak had gone but when I turned my head I heard it. It was the styrofoam in my helmet. It creaked everytime I hit even the smallest bump. I still have the helmet & still haven't figured out what to do about it. At least nobody can hear it but me.

·
Registered
21,724 Posts
I had a creaking noise that I just couldn't find. I looked for weeks, tore the whole bike down & found nothing. One day when riding on glass smooth pavement I noticed the creak had gone but when I turned my head I heard it. It was the styrofoam in my helmet. It creaked everytime I hit even the smallest bump. I still have the helmet & still haven't figured out what to do about it. At least nobody can hear it but me.
Silicone spray. It won't attack the EPS and it will lubricate the contact points between the foam and the shell.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.