Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· aka Zoo
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 2002 Bianchi XL Boron I have a Cane Creek headset (S1 I think), I had to replace my stem last weekend, had an Easton EA50 and threw on a FSA OS-140, the dang front end of the bike is keep loosening up on me on almost a daily basis. It seems like after every ride I go on I have to loosen my stem, tighten down my headset, and then tighten my stem back up again because there's too much play in the fork. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here, never had this issue with the Easton stem, I know the FSA stem clamp height is shorter than the Easton so I did throw a spacer under the stem to compensate. Any ideas? Should I try replacing the headset or is that overkill? The fork has a full carbon 1" steerer and I have one of those plastic Profile compression plugs in it since I can't seem to find anything else to fit it (bike shops REALLY need to carry this stuff, no one uses aluminum steerer tubes anymore!). I can't tighten my stem up any tighter than it is, but I would think that the stem being clamped down would prevent it from loosening up on me, am I wrong in thinking this?

· Registered
413 Posts
My guess is you didn't place the compression plug far enough down the steerer before you began to tighten it down. The plug is possibly bottoming out on the stem cap before you can get enough load on the headset.

· Does it matter?
760 Posts
Did you try sanding/roughing up the inside of the new stem with some sandpaper?

or

Try some hairspray on the stem/steertube interface. Spay some on, let it get a little tacky then install, and adjust things up. The hairspray trick worked for my stem/fork when my headset adjustment wouldn't keep.

· aka Zoo
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
elbee said:
Ensure the top cap is contacting the stem and and not the top of the steerer tube or shim. You may need to insert a spacer above the stem to achieve this.
I'll try that but why would that make a difference? Just wondering...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.