Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently built up a new Scat frame with help from folks here choosing components, thank you. My only gripe is the front fork is flexy under 232 pounds. Obvious at first when turning, I even notice it now when pedaling in the drops, it goes left-right, left-right, etc.
Some folks recomended a 3T funda which is boviously very nice peice but I'm nervous about it being 100% plastic. There's a couple of Carbon forks on flea-bay with either Forged Alcoa alloy crowns (Kinesis),
http://cgi.ebay.com/KINESIS-AERO-CA...SS-/200443765563?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories

or an all Chromoly steerer, Alpha CS 10?
http://www.glorycycles.com/alqcscafo.html
This company made forks for pro teams and their all-carbon GS-10 is shown as being ideal for riders under 225 which unfortunately isn't me.

I'd like to hear from other 200+ pound riders hopefully, have you tried any of the above 3 mentioned? Weight is not an issue here, stiffness and durability is key for me so the extra 6 ounces over the Funda is nothing.
the alpha seems to have what i'm after but these reviews don't mention the size of the riders?
http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/frames-and-forks/forks/alpha-q/PRD_408403_2492crx.aspx

thanks, draganm

·
Registered
66 Posts
im 240 and have a fuji team pro carbon w/ full carbon fork and i dont notice any flex in my fork....you could try reynolds pro forks..used to have that on my older bike and it was pretty stiff.

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
I'm a 190 - 200 pound sprinter and have found the Easton EC90SL to be plenty stiff for my needs. Not only is it stiff, but it's light and the system they use to secure the headset is brilliant (instead of an expander bolt or star nut).

·
Registered
128 Posts
I was 210 and I used the Performance bike (Forte)carbon fork and it had no flex. I am down to 190 now and it still has no flex. Kinesis makes this for PB.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It seems like there's lots of opinions out there. Some people say Easton are stiff while others claim they're very wobbly? From the review for the Alpha Q

"Summary:
got this new fork a few days ago. I was pretty impressed with the stiffness/responsiveness. Was experienceing major speed wobble on descents w/ old fork (high-end, brand name full carbon fork)Pretty happy so far,no more wobble yet. We will see what happens in the mountains in a few weeks.

Strengths:
Did I say stiff?

Similar Products Used:
Reynolds Ouzu Pro

St.Zu said:
I was 210 and I used the Performance bike (Forte)carbon fork and it had no flex. I am down to 190 now and it still has no flex. Kinesis makes this for PB.
that's strange, either mine is defective or we have different riding styles. I ride a very forward position with the bars slammed down on the frame. Maybe i'm putting more force on the fork than others? I notice a lot of folks out there with the stem pointed up and lots of spacers under it. I think this would shift the weight off the front end

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
draganM said:
Maybe i'm putting more force on the fork than others? I notice a lot of folks out there with the stem pointed up and lots of spacers under it. I think this would shift the weight off the front end
That's how I have my bike set up. My total stack height on the front end (including headset) is 14cm with a -10 degree stem. My saddle to bar drop is a bit over 13cm and I have a very forward set up on my bike.

Like I said earlier I've found the Easton EC90SL to be plenty stiff for me....though as with any fork YMMV.

I've heard good things about the stiffness of Edge forks as well.

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
Are you sure its the fork flexing and not the front wheel? I work with a couple of people on these boards that use this bike as a full commuter with racks/backs, including a guy that is around 245 lbs that isn't having any issues with fork flex.

We also have many customers that ride this frame/fork combo (Scattante R560/570/660/670) without issue.

According to your previous post, you have a very aggressive position, maybe a full alloy/steel fork is in your future?

·
Registered
923 Posts
I am ~245, been riding an Alpha Q GS20 for 2.5 months that I got from Wheelandsprocket on eBay for $99 brand new. Truvativ lists this fork as "All Riders". It is full carbon and it is much, much stiffer than the KHS branded carbon/steel fork that I removed from my KHS Flite 750. I cannot see any flex, not to say there may not be some, but I cannot see it or feel it. I don't have as much drop to the bars as you, I run an inverted 7 degree stem 120mm with the max allowed stack for the fork, 40mm.

Very pleased with the Alpha Q GS20 and it was CHEAP!

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Could it be your bars that are flexing? I remember when I ordered my LOOK KG281. I was worried about the 1" carbon steerer tube and ordered a 1" aluminum to replace it with. I built it up with the 1" alum. and road it all season. At the end of the season I changed over to the carbon. I noticed flex right off. I gave it a chance and got use to it. It adds to the comfort of the ride as I see it. BTW, did you ever get rid of the hot-spot/ shoe problem?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
High Gear said:
Could it be your bars that are flexing?
the bars seem pretty solid, maybe a little flex but it really looks like the steerer at both the stem-frame and fork-frame junction. I just ordered a new GS10 so I'll post a review with pics as soon as it's mounted.

High Gear said:
BTW, did you ever get rid of the hot-spot/ shoe problem?
yes, 90% gone. New insoles and leaving the front straps lose before the ride helps a lot. I think my feet may gotten wider over the last 10 years though as the toe box feels narrow and it wasn't that way when I bought the Sidi's.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts