Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a front light. Not looking to blot out the sun or see the eyes of every tree frog in the next quarter mile. Am looking for a small self-contained light to brighten the road in suburban environments on the fading dusk and brightening dawn rides until the days get a bit longer. Maybe getting by in pitch darkness on occasion, but not the everyday, and would still expect some ambient / streetlight help. This won't be an everyday thing, so not looking to drop a lot of money.

Looking along the lines of Mako 200, 150, and similar.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Light & motion urban 550. Light, self contained, bright enough to ride with in the dark and relatively inexpensive.

·
10,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Light & motion urban 550. Light, self contained, bright enough to ride with in the dark and relatively inexpensive.
Impressive! but based on the vids considerably more light than I'm expecting, and a bunch more than I'd hope to spend. If I were looking for an everyday commuter that'd be prime, but I'm aimed more casually than that.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Impressive! but based on the vids considerably more light than I'm expecting, and a bunch more than I'd hope to spend. If I were looking for an everyday commuter that'd be prime, but I'm aimed more casually than that.
In that case, I'd agree that the Lezyne option above is a great deal.

·
Travels by Map
3,060 Posts
Well they also have an Urban 200 (200 lumens) that is $60 less (their listed retail is $100 so you may be able to find it cheaper). The listed lumens are always for the high setting and they also have a medium and low.

You could also go for an older model for a better price and lower brightness. I have a CygoLite Expilion 250 that I like a lot. I bought it when it was the brightest they had and now the 300 is on Amazon for only $60 because the newest versions are 600 and 700 lumens. It also has high, medium, low, and flash like the Light & Motion, plus you can charge from the wall or USB. Amazon.com: CygoLite ExpiliOn 300 USB Li-on Rechargable Headlight: Sports & Outdoors

CygoLite also has one called the Metro that is even a little less expensive. It looks like it may have a smaller beam, but I didn't check their site to find the differences.

·
10,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input - the Lezyne and the Cygolite are both right in the wheelhouse. Probably silly for the one time I'd actually use the capability, but I do like the replaceable rechargeable 18650 format on both of these, and the size / price / power are right about where I'm wanting to be.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Another vote for the Cygolite Metro, I have a couple friends who have them and they are happy with them. I've had a Cygolite Million from a couple years ago that has held up well. I like the Cygolite bracket as well, easy to use and secure.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I agree with the others that have mentioned the Cygolite Metro 300. The beam is a little to small of a spot to be ideal, but it is will get you seen for $54 @ Amazon, and I have had nothing be good experiences with Cygolite.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have a Cygolite 300, and have used it to ride in total darkness before sunrise without any other light sources (businesses, street lights, etc.). It's adequate for my cruising speed (17 mph or so). Blink mode is way too bright in very low light conditions, as the reflections are very annoying. I have a secondary low power blinkie for when the sun starts to come up. Having a secondary light is not a bad idea in the event of the battery running out of juice.

The roads I ride on have very little traffic at 5:00 AM. I might see 10 cars in 20 miles. If you ride in an area with more traffic or background lights you may want to get something a little brighter so you stand out. In my case that's not an issue.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,037 Posts
Thanks for the input - the Lezyne and the Cygolite are both right in the wheelhouse. Probably silly for the one time I'd actually use the capability, but I do like the replaceable rechargeable 18650 format on both of these, and the size / price / power are right about where I'm wanting to be.
I have a Cygolite. It was bright enough that I retired my dearly beloved L&M, for the sake of convenience. BUT ... the one drawback is the beam is incredibly narrow.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I have a Cygolite Explion 400, the beam is wider than the older milion that it replaced. It's enough light for just about any application. I rarely even use full power.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
You can get either a real nice Cygolite ExpiliOn 300 (lumens) for around $55 or step up to the bright ExpiliOn 420 for $68; both of these use a self contained (no separate battery pack) replaceable rechargeable battery, and both of which are on Amazon.

Or you get a 2300 lumen off brand light that is closer to about 1100 to 1200 lumens (Chinese off brands like this one and the MagicShine overrate their lumens by about 100 percent) for $40 on E-Bay; see: 2300 Lumens CREE XM L T6 GXP R5 LED Bicycle Light Headlight Headlamp | eBay This light is cheaper then most companies replaceable battery packs! The battery won't burn long on high but rarely will you need 1100 lumens, so you can cut the power down and run the light for longer. I think I heard it will run for about 45 minutes on high and about 1 1/2 hours on medium.

·
Recycle King
870 Posts

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
The least expensive option would be an LED flashlight that uses 18650 or AA rechargeable batteries. You can buy decent LED flashlights ranging from 200-500 lumens for $20 or less on-line. Even with the cost of batteries and a charger, you could buy all of that for $50 or less. Also factor in the cost of a flashlight mount such as a Two-Fish, but you can buy knockoffs for a few bucks. I have used a Fenix LD20 for commuting for more than 5 years, first on my handlebars and now on my helmet. It puts out about 200 lumens on high, but I run it at the 100-lumen setting to extend battery life.

I now use a L&M Urban 500 on my handlebar for daily commuting and it's been a great light. Although it puts out 500 lumens on high, I generally run it on the second or third highest setting (350-100 lumens) to extend the battery life because I have a long commute. I like the convenience of being able to easily install and remove it as well as charge it from my computer at work or an electric outlet. If considering a self-contained light like that now, I would probably buy one of the Lezyne models because they use 18650 batteries, so you can carry spare batteries to extend run times. Also, the 18650 batteries are inexpensive to replace, but L&M lights have to be sent back to the factory for battery replacements.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Again, if price is a concern for less then $50 you can get a 2300 lumen light made for bicycles, why pay that with a dinky AA flashlight that puts out 75 to 100 lumens and jerry rig a strapping system for the bike? And the larger AA LED lights that put out 400 to 500 lumens are quite large at about 6 inches long and heavy due to the 6 AA bats they use and more difficult to strap down and stay in place.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.