Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi

I bought a pair of brand new Continental GP 4000 tyres and 3 weeks I got a flat. The tyre had a cut in the side of the wall below where it has access to the road (or items on the road like glass nail etc). So I think the rim cut the tyre.

It happened two tyres but the second tyre was 6+ months old and it only lasted 1 week after the above.

I tried my rim with my hand and its pretty smooth, the rim tape isn't perfect but nothing would cut through a new tyre.

What should I do to fix the problem ? I'm using another rim but I want my deep rims back. Any ideas ? One LBS examined it and couldn't feel/see anything.

Can you see the tyre ?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4k849wohskqicz4/DSC_0130.JPG?dl=0

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
hi

I bought a pair of brand new Continental GP 4000 tyres and 3 weeks I got a flat. The tyre had a cut in the side of the wall below where it has access to the road (or items on the road like glass nail etc). So I think the rim cut the tyre.

It happened two tyres but the second tyre was 6+ months old and it only lasted 1 week after the above.

I tried my rim with my hand and its pretty smooth, the rim tape isn't perfect but nothing would cut through a new tyre.

What should I do to fix the problem ? I'm using another rim but I want my deep rims back. Any ideas ? One LBS examined it and couldn't feel/see anything.
Hard to say what caused it, but if the rim feels smooth then the rim is not likely the cause. Could that be the spot where you used a tire lever to get the last bit of tire on the rim? Are your brake pads properly adjusted so they never touch the tire even when you pull really hard on the lever?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I could have nipped the tube with a tyre lever (metal) but I don't think I touched the tyre. Getting the tyre on I always get the full tyre - taking a tyre off it may be possible to bite into in when trying to get underneath. I only the above one once.

Brakes don't really touch the tyre. I'm running Mavic Cosmic Elite Road Wheelset.
The LBS is taking a look for me because I can't work it out. It can't be rim tape.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would send the tyre back to Conti and would get it replaced.
Maybe in your country, you should get into contact with the distributor in advance.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I sent the tyre back to wiggle and they gave me a refund. I put an old rear wheel tyre on after and the same thing happened. Same spot, same sharp cut in the tube as well.

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
I sold bike tires for about 5 years. I sold thousands of pairs. Mostly Gatorskins and gp4000S, with some Vittorias and Vredsteins. By far the ones with the most defect returns was the GP4000s and typically for the bead separating from the sidewall. Even at that, it was probably 1 tire in 300 or so that would have an issue.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I sold bike tires for about 5 years. I sold thousands of pairs. Mostly Gatorskins and gp4000S, with some Vittorias and Vredsteins. By far the ones with the most defect returns was the GP4000s and typically for the bead separating from the sidewall. Even at that, it was probably 1 tire in 300 or so that would have an issue.
Interesting. I never had problems with the Gatorskins, they seem to go and go, but they aren't as fast. I don't think I will get the 4000 again, probably try the 4 seasons, in between.

Still waiting for the lbs to take my bike and get the low down.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts