Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Campy Veloce 10 Spd. QS Ergo shifters & Veloce QS double front derailleur.

I just adjusted the Hi & Lo on the front derailleur b/c it was rubbing when in the small front/large rear cog position.

I'm not sure if it's related, but when I shift from the small to large cog in the front, my shifter remains stuck in the out position (sticking out from the brake lever). When I click it back behind the brake lever, the chain returns to the small cog, but the derailleur remains in the large cog positition. I have to click the thumb-shifter to return the derailleur to the small-cog position. My chain won't stay on the large cog.

Suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
Readjustment

Douger said:
I just adjusted the Hi & Lo on the front derailleur b/c it was rubbing when in the small front/large rear cog position.

I'm not sure if it's related, but when I shift from the small to large cog in the front, my shifter remains stuck in the out position (sticking out from the brake lever). When I click it back behind the brake lever, the chain returns to the small cog, but the derailleur remains in the large cog positition. I have to click the thumb-shifter to return the derailleur to the small-cog position. My chain won't stay on the large cog.

Suggestions?
On the one hand, it sounds like dirty cables/casings, a frayed cable at the shifter (brake lever) end, or a dirty BB cable guide. However, the fact that you were just twiddling with the limit screws brings that into question. Obviously, there was no reason to change the upper limit screw for the problem you were having, but that doesn't stop some folks from doing it. If you did mess with the high limit screw, change it back.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
start over...

If the chain won't stay on the large chainring (not cog), then the cable tension is either too low or you turned the high limit screw the wrong way and it's not permitting enough travel of the FD cage to the right.

I'd start over from scratch. Shift to the small chainring and loosen the cable tension adjuster until you're sure that the cabel is not tight. If there's any doubt, unclamp the FD cable, pull it tight by hand and reclamp. Shift to the largest sprocket (cog) and be sure that there is no chain rub or excesive clearance between the FD cage and change (1mm will do). If there is, readjust the low limit screw. I would then shift to a midrange sprocket. Now, if you try to shift to the big chainring, the shift is not likely to execute, until more cable tension is applied. Increase tension until the shift executes. If the finger lever seems to be hard to push just before the shift executes, you probably have the high limit screw in too far. When you get enough tension on the cable and the high limit screw is backed out enough (ccw), the shift will execute, the chain won't over travel to the right of the big chainring and their will be no chainrub in the big ring and smallest cog.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.