Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Ireland
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My chain just started getting caught between the big chain ring and small chain ring when I shift from one to the other respectively. Has never done this before. Chain has about 1500 miles on it and is well maintained/lubed. Campy Chorus 10s drive-train. I can't understand it! It's like the front der isn't moving it far enough down? It doesn't get caught on the big-ring shifting pins or anything, as it moves down, it's like the gap between the chain-rings is too big. Very odd. It's a 10s Campy chain, with a 10s Chorus crank. It's been working great for two years, now this.

Any ideas?

·
Tourist
989 Posts
Typically if your f. der isn't moving down far enough, it's either
- inside limit screw is too tight (loosen it)
- cable too tight (loosen it).

Since your setup has been working for two years, it might also be that something bumped into your f. der and pushed it a bit so that now it's not straight parallel to the rings anymore. Check that the outer plate is parallel to the rings, and that you have the proper spacing between big ring and derailleur (about one credit card width)

·
Registered
788 Posts
Pierre said:
Typically if your f. der isn't moving down far enough, it's either
- inside limit screw is too tight (loosen it)
- cable too tight (loosen it).

Since your setup has been working for two years, it might also be that something bumped into your f. der and pushed it a bit so that now it's not straight parallel to the rings anymore. Check that the outer plate is parallel to the rings, and that you have the proper spacing between big ring and derailleur (about one credit card width)
+1
I'd say almost surely it's the second thing you said . Make sure it's parallel and also make sure it's correctly above the chain(1-2 mm).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts