Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's safe to say I am not much of a Froome or Team Sky fan (outside of Kwiatkowski who is one of my favorite pros). That being said, I think he might be able to pull this off this year given that some other real contenders and previous winners probably won't be racing. I'm not sure it's good for the sport for him to do so, but I hope it at least inspires some racer and/or some team to finally figure out a way to be consistently compete with these guys and beat them regularly.

https://www.teamsky.com/article/froome-looking-ahead-after-fourth-tour-success

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
too bad that Porte and Valverde won't recover in time. Valverde wil be missed that the Vuelta for sure as he always show up to play here.

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah and Sunweb has already announced Dumoulin won't be racing the Vuelta. I doubt Bardet and Uran will either. Majka is probably still healing up and Dan Martin has injuries he needs to take care of. Maybe we will finally see Alaphilipe back in action though. I think Ilnur Zakarin plans to race it and he's good, but probably won't have the team/support to beat Froome. It would be interesting to see Nibali give it a go as well, he's beat Froome before.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Orica should have both of the Yates twins at the Vuelta. Remember they split them between the Giro and Tour so one will be fresh for the Vuelta. I would think they will send Chaves as well.
Valverde will be sorely missed. He was also actually targeting the Vuelta and had even made some comments about the stage in his home province that he really wanted to win.
I agree I would be surprised if either Porte or Izagirre will be healed in time either. Although Bahrain should have Nibali.
It appears Movistar is going to give the reins of the team to Ruben Fernandez (one of their young Spaniards). They may give him full leadership otherwise it may be co leadership with the other kid on the team Marc Soler (the other young Spaniard they are very high on).

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Maybe Froomie should ask Nairo how good of an idea that double-tour attempt stuff is.
It may not be a bad idea for Froome to show up, he didn't look like he had to dig as deep and as often as Nairo did in the Giro.
Would definitely love to see an in-form Contador show up.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I hope and pray Contador rides it. He may not win (or he may), but he can certainly make it very hard for Froome. That said, Froome really has a great chance to win it.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
I don't think Froome will win the Vuelta. He seems to have aged since last year and had to play a very conservative game at the Tour (albeit that was partly because of the ASO design). I do hope he contests the Vuelta though. Maybe Landa could win the Vuelta though! with Froome as his super domestique.

I don't think Contador is a contender to take seriously any more. they'll let him fly and see him out of the top ten on GC the next day

1 - 9 of 9 Posts