Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...I'm at my witts end right now. Has anybody dealt with frozen bottom bracket threads before?

My brand new frame came in today and I went to put the bottom bracket on. The drive side went on easy as could be. Then I went to the non-drive side and it threaded on about 3/4 of the way super easy then it got a bit harder (which I figured was left over thread lock from my previous frame). So I used my BB tool and gave it just a small nudge to see if it would break past that point and continue threading.

Mind you it wasn't a lot of force.

It didn't go any further so I stopped and figured I'd back out the BB and clean up the area. Well....the freaking thing won't budge in either direction. It seems like the threads fused together in a matter of no time at all.

I've basically pounded on it trying to get it out and it won't move. I've got to the point of using vice-grips on the BB then pounding on it with a rubber mallet and it won't move...in either direction.

The only way I can figure to get it out is to cut the BB off at the threads, then collapse the inner part of the BB to get it to break away from the threads...assuming they will pull away once I get to that point.

I'm guessing the BB somehow got cross threaded somehow, how I have no freaking clue since it literally spun on 3/4 of the way with no pressure at all, then went maybe a 1/4 turn beyond that and that was it. Chances are the frame is screwed because I'm guessing (based on the BB shell not moving) the BB threads are all messed up now, but I can't be fore sure until I get the BB out of the frame.

Any help would be greatly appreciated....my next stop, when I can get there will be the bike shop...which most likely will look at it and tell me I'm screwed :mad2:

·
Banned
758 Posts
You are keeping in mind that the drive side is opposite threading, aren't you? There's no black magic involved, and the chance that that there was something wrong with the threads (before all this started) is nil. Recheck your work.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pancho's Balls said:
You are keeping in mind that the drive side is opposite threading, aren't you? There's no black magic involved, and the chance that that there was something wrong with the threads (before all this started) is nil. Recheck your work.
Yes, I know the drive side is opposite threading. I actually had zero problems with the drive side, it spins on and off with no problems.

It's the NON-drive side that's the issue. It just won't budge. I don't think there was any issue with the BB shell on the frame, but the BB it's self. Either way...It's stuck :mad2:

·
Militant commuter
881 Posts
Get a longer wrench...or put a length of pipe over the handle of the wrench for extra torque and wail on that thing 'til it loosens. And good luck -- I hope nothing is wrong with the threads of the BB shell.

·
So. Calif.
2,800 Posts
Were threads on BB and shell liberally lubed (grease or anti-seize), before installing?

Try laying bike on drive side (NDS pointing up), drip "PB Blaster" into BB threads and let soak for a few hrs. I think it works better than Liquid Wrench, but Liq Wrench OK if that's what is available. I've succesfully used PB Blaster on frozen car bolts, that I thought I'd have to grind or cut off.

If threads are galled, I think "bigger wrench" may only make it worse -- galling is like welding on a micro-scale.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,553 Posts
New frame
Older bottom bracket that was not hard to remove.
Old bottom bracket goes in part way before jamming

Sounds like this a frame problem.

If you have a shop that you trust, take it to them. Have them remove the bottom bracket and chase the threads in the non-drive side of the frame.

·
Registered
21,725 Posts
Galling

tom_h said:
Were threads on BB and shell liberally lubed (grease or anti-seize), before installing?

If threads are galled, I think "bigger wrench" may only make it worse -- galling is like welding on a micro-scale.
That's sure what it sounds like to me. Threading in easy then freezing solid with light pressure has galling written all over it. Good luck to the OP getting out of that - even if he gets the cup out, there will likely be damage to either cup, frame, or both :(

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the responses....

Disaster was avoided :D

I took the frame to likely the best shop in town and they had the BB out of the frame in about a 1/2 hour (of which it had galled and froze in the frame). I had them chase the BB shell and install a new BB in the frame for me...just to keep me from screwing it up again :blush2:

So, I'll get the frame back tomorrow and build her up over the next couple of days...hopefully in time for an easy initial break in ride on Friday, then a good and hard group ride on Saturday.

Whew....:cool:

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,981 Posts
All's well that ends well.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SilverStar said:
May I ask how the shop got the BB cartridge out?
My understanding...though I didn't ask a lot of questions since I was just happy with the fact that they were able to remove it and the threads were still in good shape is this.

They cut the outter bearing off, or at least removed it from the main cup (there was still 5mm - 7mm of threads sticking out if the outter shell had been cut off). Then crushed the bearing cup a little bit at a time loosening up the contact between the threads and the bearing cup. Once it had loosened up enough to turn they backed it out of the BB shell.

Then Chased the bottom bracket and installed a new one for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts