Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine brought his old Mavic Ksyrium SSC's by to get trued, I have built my own wheels and even trued my own Ksyrium Elites with the bladed spokes. But my friends bladed spokes seem to be frozen solid. I have the special spoke tools, but even holding the spoke blade I can not tighten or loosen the nipple to true the wheel without turning the whole spoke. I'm afraid to break something, will probably just leave the wheel alone, but would like to hear what the shops do...

The wheels are really gunked up, but times like this you appreciate plain old round spokes

·
Registered
219 Posts
After cleaning up the excess gunk, perhaps you could drip a lubricant...triflow...into the nipples? Not exactly a penetrating oil, but it might do the trick. If the wheels are badly out of true and you really can't turn the spokes without breaking something, then adding lube and maybe even penetrating oil into the nips couldn't be any worse than just riding on the out of true wheels.

Hoffman

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure, they re black with the spline nipples. I am guessing alloy because of the shape, probable some kind of machining.

I cleaned a few spokes up with cleaner, then put few drops of penetrating oil. Let it sit, said a prayer, then slowly worked the wheel. It didn't seem like they were turning, but I managed to true the wheel. Not perfect, but much better than it was. Even had to retrue the wheel for roundness. Hopefully my friend won't check to see if every spoke blade is perfectly straight :) Overall it didn't turn out bad.

It's an older wheel, and I am sure a bit heavier, but so much better made than the newer mavic wheels with all the plastic parts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts