Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced my first tubeless tire with a new Roubaix road tubeless tire for $90, and this is my first experience with Roubaix. I also just got a new front wheel a few months ago on which I placed this new Roubaix (after my first tire shredded after 200 miles, another story).

Shortly after I got the new tire, I started hearing an odd scraping sound which I isolated to my front wheel. For about a week a was convinced the sound was coming from the new wheel/hub, and I thought that I had a defective wheel.

Then I finally took the front wheel off and rotated it by itself, and noticed no scraping sound. Back on the bike, scraping sound again. No, it was not the wheel rubbing against the break pads. It was not the wheel at all. Care to guess what the scraping sound was?

Turned out the tire had these little rubber tendrils hanging off it - an artifact of the manufacturing process I am sure - and these little tendrils were hitting my break pads. All I had to do was pull the rubber tendrils off, problem solved.

But sheesh, for $90 you'd think I wouldn't have to do this. Problem solved, finally, and I feel a bit foolish too.

Thanks for letting me vent.

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
sometimes life can be cruel and unfair.

good on you for getting through this difficult time.

Reactions: masont

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
You'd think a guy who joined four years ago would've figured out we have a Wheels And Tires subforum.

·
Registered
752 Posts

·
I love to climb!
2,046 Posts
Pretty much every tire still has those on the tire. I don't know of any manufacturer who takes the time to remove them. I often pull them off when installing new tires.

·
Banned
7,744 Posts
Litigation is the answer. These corporate bass turds need to be taught a lesson and who better to do it than someone who has so obviously been violated.
I just replaced my first tubeless tire with a new Roubaix road tubeless tire for $90, and this is my first experience with Roubaix. I also just got a new front wheel a few months ago on which I placed this new Roubaix (after my first tire shredded after 200 miles, another story).

Shortly after I got the new tire, I started hearing an odd scraping sound which I isolated to my front wheel. For about a week a was convinced the sound was coming from the new wheel/hub, and I thought that I had a defective wheel.

Then I finally took the front wheel off and rotated it by itself, and noticed no scraping sound. Back on the bike, scraping sound again. No, it was not the wheel rubbing against the break pads. It was not the wheel at all. Care to guess what the scraping sound was?

Turned out the tire had these little rubber tendrils hanging off it - an artifact of the manufacturing process I am sure - and these little tendrils were hitting my break pads. All I had to do was pull the rubber tendrils off, problem solved.

But sheesh, for $90 you'd think I wouldn't have to do this. Problem solved, finally, and I feel a bit foolish too.

Thanks for letting me vent.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,963 Posts
You're right. Hard for those molding tits to hit disc pads.
So would buying better tires.

I do have to laugh at paying $90USD for tires though, be they tubeless or not. My 320TPI Open Corsa CX III Vittorias are nice rubber, being nice rubber they don't have flashing....and despite being 320TPI they can be had for $30USD shipped.

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
So would buying better tires.

I do have to laugh at paying $90USD for tires though, be they tubeless or not. My 320TPI Open Corsa CX III Vittorias are nice rubber, being nice rubber they don't have flashing....and despite being 320TPI they can be had for $30USD shipped.
link?

·
Use my Apps :)
959 Posts
You just removed the integrated brake pad cleaning tendrils that you paid so much extra for! RTFM next time. Now you need to clean your brake pads manually like the rest of us slobs.

:)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.