Similar to their "Cascadia" model, but with canti brakes
Nominal size 58cm
S+S couplers
3x9 drivetrain (Sugino / Ultegra)
SON 28 dynamo front wheel, Dyad 700c rim, 36-spoke
Ultegra rear hub, Dyad 700c rim, 36-spoke
9-speed Bar-Con shifters, Ergo handlebar
Cassette is in good condition.
46/34/24 triple crankset, Sugino ___mm, the granny ring is nearly new stainless steel for durability
Option of flat or rising 11 cm stem (I can swap them)
RiBMo 32mm tires, under 200 miles on them
Gyes leather saddle
Blackburn stainless bottle cages
Option: used MKS touring pedals, Shimano M324 pedals
Option: new Blaze orange padded handlebar tape
Option: subtract for regular, non-dynamo used front wheel substitution
Option: add for used Berthoud stainless fenders
Option: add for used panniers

Do not buy this bike if you’re not looking for an S+S (or Ritchey Breakaway) style travel bike which fits into a standard airline suitcase without oversize charges. The bike’s greatest value is in the hand made in the USA frame with S+S couplers. If you don’t know what that means, but think you’re interested, then use google to read about the S+S Machine couplers. I won’t repeat here their selling points when that’s readily documented online.

Co-Motion sets up their touring bikes to have a more upright posture, with improved leg swingover clearance for when you’re loaded up with panniers. So this bike is sized and sold for a road rider (like me) who typically fits a 58cm frame. Their top tube measures 56.5 cm and sits a centimeter or two lower - and so the frame has a taller head tube. You can see that in the photos.

I bought this touring bike new around 2005, and rode it regularly for two seasons. It did some centuries, and a three day pannier tour. In 2007, I got a newer bike and didn’t use this blue one so much any more. It’s performed short stints as a grocery getter, a baby trailer puller, a single speed roadie, and an upright townie. Long story short, I haven’t rode it enough, and I’m cleaning house/garage, and really prefer to find an owner who will do this full touring, fully airline packable bike justice.

The drivetrain is generally in fine shape. The traditional Sugino crank has a nearly new stainless steel 24t granny gear, and a lightly used 34t middle ring. The 46t outer ring’s teeth show a hint of shark tooth profile, meaning ideally you should replace it before a big tour or before next spring’s riding season starts in earnest. The chain measures 0.7 with a Park chain checker tool, also meaning that you can get away with it for now, but should plan to replace it before a big tour or when ramping up your spring mileage. Derailleurs and bar-con shifters seem to be in fine shape, and the cassette also seems fine.

As shown in the photos, the frame has a few scuffs typical of regular usage. But the bike has been garage kept all along. I see no signs of rust. When I first assembled it, I applied frame saver spray inside its tubes, to further discourage any tarnish. The rack bosses show a bit of built-up gunk from my use of Loctite Blue so that the mounting bolts don’t loosen.

I’m offering this bike with a SON-28 dynamo hub-equipped front wheel. Randonneurs and serious tourists will appreciate this, especially if you get a nice lightweight, bright LED headlight for it (headlight not included). A couple years ago, I drilled out the center fork crown so that it will accept a center-mount randonneur rack (also not included). If you don’t want a dynamo hub-based front wheel, then I’m happy to substitute a basic Ritchey/Mavic 32-spoke front wheel. All wheels have been hand-built, with the 36-spoke wheels supplied by Peter White Cycles in New Hampshire.

Regarding contact points, it’s largely up to you. Provide your own pedals, or choose to add one of my lightly used pairs for a modest cost. No handlebar tape, but you can wrap your own, or maybe you’re tempted by my new roll of blaze orange bar tape. The saddle is a basic Gyes tensioned leather. Nothing fancy, but gets the job done. The saddle is only two years old, has Brooks Proofide treatment a few times, and generally looks and feels almost new.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts