Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a ride today I was stopped at a stoplight when another road biker walked his Giant carbon bike across the street in front of me. I figured he had some sort of mechanical problem so asked him if I could help. He held up his right hand holding his left crank arm and said, "I don't think so." He said it snapped off at the top of a small climb near Calero reseviour (SF Bay area) about 9 miles back. It was a new FSA crank with the outboard bb set up. The axle was snapped off flush with the bb cup. I didn't see what model FSA it was and I didn't have time to talk more with him as I was late to meet my riding buddies.

The rider was a stout guy about 210 lbs. Has anyone ever heard of this happening before with FSA cranks? I was thinking of using an FSA compact crank on a new frame I'm building up but this sorta makes me wonder if I should go with the Shimano compact crank.

·
Registered
21,635 Posts
It can happen

If you've been around long enough, you can hear about this happening with any brand. It seems there were some reports about ISIS BB axles failing a bit more, but that seems to have faded. This is not reported as a common problem for FSA.

·
Registered
376 Posts
The good news is that FSA has a 10 year warranty

for defects. I'm a clydesdale and have ridden FSA cranks for years. Now have the MegaExo, and one of the reasons I went that way was the warranty (just in case). Still would suck to be caught out on a ride, but these things don't break on the workstand, do they!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts