Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just at 300 miles with the FSA SLK compact and the non drive side crank has loosened twice already on me. Have had it installed and then tightened by my lbs and then by a wrench offering support out in tahoe.
What gives?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Check out the reviews

The reviews section on this product indicates that it is a very common problem. (although it has not happened to me yet.)

tpcrider said:
Just at 300 miles with the FSA SLK compact and the non drive side crank has loosened twice already on me. Have had it installed and then tightened by my lbs and then by a wrench offering support out in tahoe.
What gives?
________
CHEAP 1000 BAG 12G AIRSOFT GUNS

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here are the specs on it.
Monocoque crankarm/spider

Precision CNC machined 7075/T6 chainrings, ramped and pinned for perfect shifing

AL7075 Torx T-30 alloy chainring bolts

MegaExo oversize cartridge bearings

Oversize splined integrated chromoly BB Axle

MegaExo alloy bearing cups

Ø24mm spindle

BB Cups - BC-1.37" x 68mm or M36 x 70mm

Length 170, 172.5 or 175mm

Q-Factor: 147mm

110mm bolt circle diameter

Chainrings - 50/34

Chainline - 43.5mm

840 grams (incl. BB)

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
I brought my bike into the LBS to have them deal with this same problem. Mine has loosened up four times in the last two months. I just got off the phone with them-- they said that they hadn't had many of these come back, but someone brought another R3 in with the same problem just today.

It sounds like FSA's going to cover mine under warranty.

I'll try to remember to torque it weekly from now on.

·
pass the hot sauce
197 Posts
SDizzle said:
Get used to tightening it weekly, and invest in an accurate torque wrench.
I noticed recently that the printed torque specs listed on the head of that bolt from a brand new set of FSA SLK cranks are listed as significantly higher (though I can't remember the actual numbers) than on mine that were purchased right as they hit the market. Also, the bolt now comes pre-treated with loc-tite.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I called FSA in Seattle and asked them if they were aware of this issue. Sam told me that he has had to discuss this with customers. He suggested returning to them so they can inspect. Mentioned that they have made recent changes to help correct problem. Offered no spare crank to use in mean time just send to them so they look at it and do some testing with equipment they have and that my local lbs would not have. So now the question is would you send it and go without a ride for the 10 days it might take for them to evaluate and possibly replace? Do you think LBS who build the thing up will offer a loaner crank?
What would you do?
And being somewhat of a wrenching idiot does loctite affect the disassembly in the future for any reason and would I ever want to dissamble the thing?

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
Just got back from the shop. They said the same thing- let us send it in to FSA and maybe they'll warranty it. It'll take a minimum of two weeks. Of course I have a riding vacation in the sierras this weekend, and the Death Ride in a month. They locktited the bolt for me and I'll take a backup bike this weekend. I'll probably buy another crank (NOT an SLK!) to replace this one and, assuming I get anything on warranty, keep it as a spare or sell it.

·
pass the hot sauce
197 Posts
ericm979 said:
Just got back from the shop. They said the same thing- let us send it in to FSA and maybe they'll warranty it. It'll take a minimum of two weeks. Of course I have a riding vacation in the sierras this weekend, and the Death Ride in a month. They locktited the bolt for me and I'll take a backup bike this weekend. I'll probably buy another crank (NOT an SLK!) to replace this one and, assuming I get anything on warranty, keep it as a spare or sell it.
I don't think it is a big deal if you haven't ridden very much with a loose crank and thus possibly damaged the spline. A competent mechanic at your LBS should be able to tell if that has happened. If damaged, I would press for warranty replacement. If not, as mentioned earlier in the thread, the torque specs have been updated for that bolt. Actual values are changed from 350-400 kgf-cm to 450-550 kgf-cm and new bolts now come treated with loc-tite.

Bottom line... if the spline is OK, clean off any grease on the bolt, apply some loc-tite and torque to the new spec. Haven't had it come loose at all since making that change.

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
It happened to me on the first week I had mine and I applied a little locktite and a year later, no issues. I am a pedal mashing 220 pound guy, it seems like the problem would have manifest itself again by now if the locktite wasn't the answer. On a different subject, it really shifts better with a 36 inner.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.