Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone use the newest alloy version of the compact (I think they call it the Energy) and how do you like it?

How about the carbon compact? I'm pretty sold on the idea but may save a few bucks and get the alloy version ----- if I can find anywhere that has them in stock. .

By the way, with the standard 50/34 rings, does that 16 tooth spread present a problem for front der. capacity?

Thanks.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I use the carbon version, just wasn't patient enough to wait for the AL version. I use a regular 105 double front der and have had no problems at all.

ridewt said:
Anyone use the newest alloy version of the compact (I think they call it the Energy) and how do you like it?

How about the carbon compact? I'm pretty sold on the idea but may save a few bucks and get the alloy version ----- if I can find anywhere that has them in stock. .

By the way, with the standard 50/34 rings, does that 16 tooth spread present a problem for front der. capacity?

Thanks.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
I have an Energy (triple)...

The Energy is a two-piece crank which is kind of unusual these days. The crank arms are pretty husky looking (but hollow forged) so the weight is not much different than the much pricier carbon crank (at least in a triple). The arms are painted gloss black and the spider is flat black.

Mine developed a creak on the second ride, but lubing all the possible metal to metal junctions and checking the tightness of all the bolts seemed to cure that problem.

Someone posted the online dealer aebike.com as having good prices on FSA. I don't think they have this model at present, but their $123 price on other Energy cranks is hard to beat. Bulltek does have the compact energy crank advertised.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have the compact energy's

ridewt said:
I'll check those out.
I got mine last night. Traded in a pair of Gossmar's that where 172.5 and went with the longest one they had at 175mm. I am a super big guy and wanted a sightly lower gearing but didn't want to go to a triple. Just don't like the look on a road bike even though I know they offer a better range. I have 2 cassettes already, both lose cogs so i can mix and match till my hearts content. They are really nicely made. The crank arms are beefy in profile.

I hope I'm happy with them.

·
Skinny Legged XC MTB geek
80 Posts
They shift fine

ridewt said:

Thanks.
I have the 50/34 with a DuraAce front derailleur and STI's. They shift fine.

·
Banned
3,915 Posts
The 34/50 FSA Energy crankset is my next significant component upgrade.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
I carry them

The Energy Compact $135

E-mail off the board if you want some. Available in Octalink or ISIS.

·
Banned
3,915 Posts
Yup, that's the one! :)

(breadrunner - I've got an ISIS BB.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts