Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some more low gears. If I change to a FSA compact crank will I have problems with chain jump using my DA FD. I currently have a FSA Team 53/39 DA FD and DA RD w/12/25 cassette. Any other set up suggestions? Thanks

·
Registered
77 Posts
Should not be a problem

tduncan said:
I'm looking for some more low gears. If I change to a FSA compact crank will I have problems with chain jump using my DA FD. I currently have a FSA Team 53/39 DA FD and DA RD w/12/25 cassette. Any other set up suggestions? Thanks
You may have to lower the FD. Other than that you shuold be good to go.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
how much lower???

A 12-27 cassette would provide one lower cog, while the compact's 34/25 low is about the same as 39/29. The downside to the compact is more cog shifting after every chainring shift.

The new cassette is a lot cheaper. Too bad Shimao doesn't offer a 13-29 like Campy. It's one cheap way to lower gearing without the big jump between the rings.

·
Registered
197 Posts
It'll Work OK

I've had the FSA 50/34 compact on my DA 9-speed for about a year - and the FD works OK. It's a little sluggish climbing to the 50 from the 34, relative to climbing to the 53 from the 39, but very acceptable. I run a 12/27 on the back, which is perfect for me on steep climbs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback. Glad to hear that the compact will work up front. My LBS is concerned that the 12/27 cassette will not work well with the DA RD 7800 short cage which is the model I have, hence the 12/25 cassette I have now. I'm trying to keep the cost down if that is ever possible.

·
Registered
73 Posts
tduncan said:
Thanks for the feedback. Glad to hear that the compact will work up front. My LBS is concerned that the 12/27 cassette will not work well with the DA RD 7800 short cage which is the model I have, hence the 12/25 cassette I have now. I'm trying to keep the cost down if that is ever possible.
Don't worry a bit about the short cage 7800. It works just fine with the 12/27. I've run it thousands of miles on both the '04 & '05 versions.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Agree, But....

yellowspox said:
Don't worry a bit about the short cage 7800. It works just fine with the 12/27. I've run it thousands of miles on both the '04 & '05 versions.
I agree. I have a 12/ 27 on my DA 9-speed (RD-7700) and a 12/27 on my DA 10-speed (RD-7800). Both work fine. But IME, in both systems when running the 27, it will rub slightly against the guide pulley, even though the "B" tension screw is all the way in. It hasn't seemed to affect shifting performance or accelerated wear in any way, however.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts