Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
110 BCD gear to another brand? My 50/34 has a hard time going from the small gear to the big gear (it's a big jump), especially going uphill. Big to small no problems. I let off when I shift slightly but it sometimes just won't shift! I'm thinking the FSA might not have the machining quality of let's say a Dura Ace or Ultegra 50T and I'd just replace the one that came on the compact. The rest of my group is all Dura Ace. Any experience?

Thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dr_John said:
I have a similar compact crank set up on a FSA SLK crank, with Ultegra front derailleur, and haven't experienced any problems. For me it shifts beautifully either way.
My front derailler is Dura Ace...is your FSA a 34/50? My LBS says it's because of the big jump vs the normal 36/50 compact.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I run the OEM 34/50T rings and haven't had any issues. Were you aware that the stock FSA big ring (WA088) doesn't work well with the Dura-Ace CN-7801 chains? Shimano changed designs in mid-season and FSA had to develop a new ring to work with it. I run a full DA drivetrain with an FSA ISIS compact setup and haven't had any problems at all it. Check your derailleur adjustment - front derailleurs are chronically setup too high and, with a large difference in teeth, this can cause shifting problems. But, you shouldn't have shifting issues with a 36/50T.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
gmcastil said:
I run the OEM 34/50T rings and haven't had any issues. Were you aware that the stock FSA big ring (WA088) doesn't work well with the Dura-Ace CN-7801 chains? Shimano changed designs in mid-season and FSA had to develop a new ring to work with it. I run a full DA drivetrain with an FSA ISIS compact setup and haven't had any problems at all it. Check your derailleur adjustment - front derailleurs are chronically setup too high and, with a large difference in teeth, this can cause shifting problems. But, you shouldn't have shifting issues with a 36/50T.
Great info...I'll check and see what I have.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
984 Posts
The FSA and Shimano external bottom bracket bearings move the chain line a little bit further out. This can cause an interference with the front deralleur bracket when shifting to the big ring. If this is a problem, the bump on the side of the deralleur can be shaved to eliminate the interference.

·
Registered
359 Posts
If it's a 36/50 then the drop from one ring to the other is the same as a standard 39/53 - namely 14 teeth. That isn't the issue. The problem is somewhere else. I have little experience with Shimano so I don't have any ready answers. I guess I would look at the front derailleur. I just wanted to clarify that for you.

·
Registered
356 Posts
JimP said:
The FSA and Shimano external bottom bracket bearings move the chain line a little bit further out. This can cause an interference with the front deralleur bracket when shifting to the big ring. If this is a problem, the bump on the side of the deralleur can be shaved to eliminate the interference.
This is not true. It might be true that external-bearing MTB cranks have a different chainline (I don't know), but the chainline of external-bearing road cranks did not change.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
fmw said:
If it's a 36/50 then the drop from one ring to the other is the same as a standard 39/53 - namely 14 teeth. That isn't the issue. The problem is somewhere else. I have little experience with Shimano so I don't have any ready answers. I guess I would look at the front derailleur. I just wanted to clarify that for you.
I'm at at 34/50....

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
I have an FSA SLK 50/34 and DA front derailleur and it shifts fine. I didn't set it up though, the LBS did. Generally when the front shifts great one direction and poorly the other, it means that the cage needs to be angled differently... i.e. rotate the derailleur around the seat tube, or for "braze on" type mounts, loosen and change the angle. If I remember right, not shifting well to the big ring means that the bottom of the cage should come out just a bit.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
All compacts, except the new Shimano, act like this. Shimano did something with the pick up pins that let them use a standard front derailleur, and still have normal shifting. The downside of the Shimano crank is that it is "only" Ultegra level.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I went from a 34T to a 36T..

NSXER said:
110 BCD gear to another brand? My 50/34 has a hard time going from the small gear to the big gear (it's a big jump), especially going uphill. Big to small no problems. I let off when I shift slightly but it sometimes just won't shift! I'm thinking the FSA might not have the machining quality of let's say a Dura Ace or Ultegra 50T and I'd just replace the one that came on the compact. The rest of my group is all Dura Ace. Any experience?

Thanks

Less overlap and quicker shifting..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.