Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to purchase a Campy Record Group w/out its carbon crankset since I'm happy with my FSA Team Pro Carbon Crank! There shouldn't be no problems with campy group with different cranks? Are there any performance difference?

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Marcus75 said:
I'm planning to purchase a Campy Record Group w/out its carbon crankset since I'm happy with my FSA Team Pro Carbon Crank! There shouldn't be no problems with campy group with different cranks? Are there any performance difference?

The FSA crank will work fine w/ Campy. I have the same crank doing duty w/ Campy Record, although, thankfully, I've got a crankset on the way to replace the less than inspiring, plenty ugly FSA thing.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Personally, I haven't used an FSA crank with Campy. I have used a Campy compatible Stronglight crankset with Shimano and, while it worked fine, it didn't shift as nicely on the chain rings as the FSA did. I do use a Campy Record carbon crank with my Record equipped bike and it shifts absolutely perfectly. I think there is some value to getting chain rings made for the brand of chain you use. I'm not sure I helping much but maybe I'm just giving you something else to think about.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a Campy Record C10 grupo. I tried the Campy Carbon drive train on one of my new frames without any problem except the old square bottom backet.It rode all fine, but switching to a FSA SLK mega exo with external bearings was the smartest thing I could have ever done. Not a bit of flex. I was pleasantly surprised.Like a rock!

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Capt.Q said:
I have a Campy Record C10 grupo. I tried the Campy Carbon drive train on one of my new frames without any problem except the old square bottom backet.It rode all fine, but switching to a FSA SLK mega exo with external bearings was the smartest thing I could have ever done. Not a bit of flex. I was pleasantly surprised.Like a rock!
Quick, you should get an urgent message to Tom Boonen, because that poor slob has been having to make do with Campy square taper BB's on his bikes....and alloy cranks. The poor guy could actuallly win races.......what.....oh, he has been winning? Well, surely he must be whining about those darned flexy square taper BB's, right? What, he hasn't? Hmmmm. Imagine that.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Sorry, I don't have a link but I did read the results of a scientific test once. As it turns out, the "stiffest" cranks and BB's were Shimano Ultegra square drive. However the difference between the "stiffest" and the "least stiff" was inconsequential - barely measurable, in fact. If a rider feels flex around the bottom bracket, that is the frame, not the bottom bracket or cranks. It is not possible to feel differences in flex from one BB or crank to another. It is possible, of course, to feel flex from a frame.

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
I've got a couple of friends who have switched from "octalink" shimano BB's and cranks (in the same frame) to the external-bearing DA-7800 stuff. Both said "wow, I'm amazed at how stiff this feels." You think it's all in the heads?

I don't notice anything like flex on my reg'lar old alloy campy stuff, but, hey.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Awwww

fmw said:
Sorry, I don't have a link but I did read the results of a scientific test once. As it turns out, the "stiffest" cranks and BB's were Shimano Ultegra square drive. However the difference between the "stiffest" and the "least stiff" was inconsequential - barely measurable, in fact. If a rider feels flex around the bottom bracket, that is the frame, not the bottom bracket or cranks. It is not possible to feel differences in flex from one BB or crank to another. It is possible, of course, to feel flex from a frame.
You are SUCH a wet blanket! :)

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
I commute monday through friday on my PW square taper 1995ish DA crankset equipped commuter. I ride my FSA SLK equipped cool bike on the weekend. I can tell the difference between the ride of the frames, but no difference in the drivetrain. BTW, the commuter is 9S chorus and the cool bike has 10S record.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Campy rings are smoother.....
I prefer the Campy rings and the new U.N. (ultra narrow) chain; quieter, smoother, and better shifting.
I noticed the FSA 53t ring teeth are cut as to produce a chainline "waver".(I have (2) 53t rings...the new semi-solid and the older one)
This movement in chainline has required a more precise FD adjustment on my FSA triple....with a double this may not be an issue.
IMO the complete Campy drivetrain is the way to go....The Chorus B.B. ia as smooth as butter and will last 40,000+ miles. (5000 or less with an FSA Megaquad) The Campy rings are far superior to FSA in terms of performance and durability.
Is it true that Campy will have external B.B.'s for ' 07??.....if so, than the square taper system that Boonen uses when he hits the nitrous with will be available on closeouts this fall!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.