Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of a FSA carbon crank, and heard some things. loosening up alot, breaking.
Anyone help?

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
The bottom bracket on my MegaExo cranks kept loosening.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I have a FSA Team Issue with titanium bottom bracket. I've put 4-5000 miles on it so far without problem. I like it even if it's slightly less high tech than the ShimaNO or Mega Exo. Haven't been riding recently, recovering from knee surgery.

·
Banned
97 Posts
I had an fsa mega exo crank last year(i think that was the name). I would prefer to not remember. Anyway, I had trouble with it shifting from the 53 to the 39. The chain would skate on top of the 39. I would be riding and shift and it was like the chain had dropped. All of a sudden I would be spinning out of control. Very dangerous. When I called FSA, they said they were having the problem with Shimano users. They never gave me a soultion, nor did they seem like they cared.

I will never buy an FSA product again.

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
after hearing that I'm even happier that i upgraded to the shimano DA's at the shop when i bought my bike :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a FSA SLK compact Carbon 50-34. I have had some problems with the crank arm loosening. A mechanic told me that this has been a problem on my paticular crank. He said that FSA is making a different screw that will help alleviate the problem. Sort of dissapointing with such an expensive crank. I have had the chain drop a few times also when shifting from the 50 to the 34. I found out that it happens when I am on my largest cog. I have stopped down shifting when I am on my largest cog. Since I have done that I have not had a problem.

·
Banned
97 Posts
botto said:
after hearing that I'm even happier that i upgraded to the shimano DA's at the shop when i bought my bike :D
That is what I did as well. I have a DA crank and love it.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
mine work great...

I've got a Team Issue carbon and and an Energy (both triples) with FSA Platinum Pro Ti BBs and Campy 10 drivetrain. No problems whatsoever. No loose BB, no dropped chains, totally trouble free.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have the K-Force and I too have had problems with the screw loosening. I didn't tighten it super hard the first time, so I am hoping that now that I gave it a little extra elbow grease, it'll stay put in the future. I haven't had problems with shifting and I really don't like the looks of the Dura Ace cranks so I hope that does the trick. (I have a Time VXR and the K-Force complements the look of the frame perfectly, while I find the DA clashes a bit with the look of the bike.)

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
I have a SLK compact mega exo. On the first long ride, the drive side cup backed out a little and I ended up riding easy back to the start. I put a little locktite blue on it and reinstalled it. Almost a year later and no problems. To be fair, I had the same problem with a campy bb a few years back. You really have to torque italian bottom brackets. As far as shifting, I use Record 10 with a standard FD and dropped the chain a few times until I switched to a 36/50. A 36X23/25 is plenty low for me.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
No probs here

Compact (50 - 34) carbon crank, not Mega-Exo, matched with Campy 10.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Fsa

I have the FSA Carbon Team and have no problems at all. I have used the TruVative ISIS bottom bracket and will be switching ti over the the FSA Ti bottom bracket for the new season. I absolutely love the FSA Carbon crank and find it to be super stiff and shifts buttery smooth. I have never used Dura Ace or Ultegra so I can not compare though I have always heard good things about both but compared to the Campy Centaur this is much better for me.

·
Defender of Freedom...
611 Posts
No problems here...

SLK Mega EXO never loosened just fine. Platinum Pro Isis w/ Energy Compact, smooth and trouble free. I wonder if the loosening has to do with Italian BBs? As stated above I have found that I have to put a little more torque when tightening. My 2 cents.

·
EuroCrash
478 Posts
I haven't had a single issue with my 2+ year old FSA cranks.

My aero bars, however, did have issues. 1 year old used less than once a week, FSA did replace them no questions asked but I sure do check them before every ride.

·
Juanmoretime
2,201 Posts
FSA Superlight cranks.

I have a set of Superlight cranks with about 11,000 miles on them without any issues. I'm on bottom bracket number 2 with the first lasting about 7,000 miles. The bottom bracket I've been using is the FSA Platinum Pro Titanium, the three bearing version.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts