Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Trailbuck
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m going to replace my alloy (aluminum) FSA crank bolts with cromoly crank bolts because they keep backing out.

In FSA’s service instructions it states “self-extracting crank bolts must never be used with ISIS spindles –this will void the warranty”. I was wondering what the reason is behind this?

Also, what is the main difference, reason, advantage and/or disadvantage between capless crank bolts and self-extracting crank bolts? (Other than the obvious dust-cap.)

Thanks for any information.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I purchased an FSA Carbon Pro Team Issue crankset about 3 years ago. It came with two sets of crankarm bolts: alloy and steel (cromoly?). The instructions were to torque down the crankset with the steel bolts, then remove them and install the alloy bolts, presumably for weight savings. However, I found the cranks would loosen up with the alloy bolts.

Eventually, I just put the steel bolts in, re-tightened the cranks, and left the steel bolts in. A few dozen grams of weight-savings isn't a big deal for me.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.