Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Trek 5000 said:
I just bought a new pair of K-Wing's and they are great ! Does anyone have these bars and if so what do you guys think ?
I tried them on a test ride on a Cannondale Synapse 1 Carbon bike and I loved the comfort of the bars. But I just read a review from someone who test rode a C'Dale Six13 and hated the bars because when he was in the drops and sprinted, he said the bars flexed badly. Have you tried that? Do you notice any flex?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Got em, love em and yes they do flex a little. I noticed it on my first ride, but don't any more. But, "flex" is kinda treated as a four letter word (even though it is) in cycling. It's ok if some things flex that don't rob power. Authors note. I don't do a lot of out of the saddle sprinting, but the last time I did . . . I won. (ok, ok, so maybe the kid's big wheel did spin out and lose a little traction)

·
Registered
177 Posts
fmw said:
I usually take the minority position and will do so here. I found them no more or less comfortable that other bars and so, for me, were simply heavier and more expensive than necessary.
While I might not pony up the $$$ for them aftermarket, (alhtough I might for those ergo palm swells), they come stock on a bike I am considering. Cannondale Synapse 1 Carbon. Would you replace them with something else, or leave them on? I personally like the Ergo position. Especially the palm swells over the hoods. Admittedly, I am not a racer, although I think I might come in close second to that big wheel!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
trek5200cs said:
I tried them on a test ride on a Cannondale Synapse 1 Carbon bike and I loved the comfort of the bars. But I just read a review from someone who test rode a C'Dale Six13 and hated the bars because when he was in the drops and sprinted, he said the bars flexed badly. Have you tried that? Do you notice any flex?
I was down in the drops yesterday and did not notice any flex. maybe i need to pay more attention to that. I love the way that the carbon dampens the road vibration. I really had a good ride yesterday and was not as tired from my old bars (Bonty Race Lite)

·
Registered
359 Posts
trek5200cs said:
While I might not pony up the $$$ for them aftermarket, (alhtough I might for those ergo palm swells), they come stock on a bike I am considering. Cannondale Synapse 1 Carbon. Would you replace them with something else, or leave them on? I personally like the Ergo position. Especially the palm swells over the hoods. Admittedly, I am not a racer, although I think I might come in close second to that big wheel!
No, I'd leave them if I were to buy a bike already so equipped. They are good looking and work just fine.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just got them on a 7 ID8 and so far have noticed any flex while in the drops. Did a few hard sprints just tonight and it wasn't an issue. Did a 2 hour ride yesterday and found that the bars offer a few good hand positions in terms of comfort. Can position hands just over the hoods comfortably or over top spread. The drops were totally good and I have found them very stable. Probably bike helps that some.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Tried them then sold them

I bought a K-Wing bar and used it for two months. I didn't find it to be confortable so I sold it and got a K-Force bar instead. When in the drops and sprinting my forearms would hit the upper bend from the tops. I guess that is because the tops are wider at that location. I didn't like the feeling when on the hoods either. And finally I found the tops to be less comfortable than a round bar (this may have been different if I had taped the tops). I couldn't fit my Polar computer on the computer mount thingy because it was too narrow. So overall they didn't work for me. Obviously many others do find them comfortable (hopefully the guy I sold them to will be one of them) so the lesson is to try before you buy.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,854 Posts
Told you so...

Dan Man said:
...When in the drops and sprinting my forearms would hit the upper bend from the tops...
My kid got these as stock on a bike he bought. I warned him about this issue and told him to swap them out at the shop before using them. He could not bring himself to give up these "cool" looking bars. He has now discovered that dad was right once again and bangs his arms when sprinting in the drops.

Along with the computer mount issue you also need to consider if it will accomodate the aerobars you want to use or if you have to limit your choices to accomodate the limited mounting options.

·
LOOK lover
625 Posts
Dan Man said:
When in the drops and sprinting my forearms would hit the upper bend from the tops.
I have these bars and really like them now, but I didn't at first for this same reason and because none of the other positions really seemed all that comfortable. It wasn't a fault of the bars, however, I just needed to play around with the 'tilt' of the bars as well as the position of the shifters. Eventually I found a 'sweet spot' where everything came together. No hitting of the bars with the forearms during sprinting, perfect alignment of the bend with my hands for the drops position, and perhaps most importantly for my style of riding, a nice transition from the hoods to the flat part of the bar behind them that gave a comfortable platform for resting the wrists during hard solo or off-the-front efforts.

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
I have them and still like them. It does suck to not be able to clip on an aerobar for the occasional TT. I ride campy so the cables are neatly tucked inside and I find the ride to be comfortable. As far as my forearms hitting the tops in a sprint, that seemed to happen to me on just about any ergo bend bar. Back in my sprinting days, I preferred traditional bend bars for that reason. Now I like to be comfy.

·
C 1/5
613 Posts
Top and hoods are comfortable for me. As others have noted my forearms sometimes hit when in the drops. They are heavier than advertised by about 40g if that means anything to you. I have them on my commuting bike and like them. I have a pair of easton ec90 pro equipe bars that I like better though.

·
Registered
571 Posts
trek5200cs said:
I bought a 06 CAAD 8 and swapped out my K-wings for WCS alloy ones. Heaps cheaper and stiffer, also lighter also.

cheers

Ralph

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have put about 2k miles on mine and love them. My primary focus is climbing and I find these really comfortable as I often spend many hours climbing during a single ride. If my hands are on the hoods, the additional flat area on the bar makes life things more comfortable. In addition with hands on the top of the bars near the stem the flat area is also nice. Down in the drops the ergo is okay, but I still miss the nice long flat areas of my Ritchey WCS Classics.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.