Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so the dabate at the shop today was whether a Kwing bar should be wrapped any further than the levers. I originally never wrapped them past the levers, but a buddy of mine did, stopping short of the flat top. Aside from the ugly finishing tape, the bars felt really nice.

What's the consensus? How high should you go?

·
pinoy thunder
341 Posts
bg. said:
Ok, so the dabate at the shop today was whether a Kwing bar should be wrapped any further than the levers. I originally never wrapped them past the levers, but a buddy of mine did, stopping short of the flat top. Aside from the ugly finishing tape, the bars felt really nice.

Until before the flat top portion.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
bg. said:

I taped mine up to where they go flat. Just around the bend. I used Deda carbon print black handlebar tape. When I have to do it again, I may try taping from the top down to prevent any tape on the top. I put the sandpaper tape under the flat tops and it works out well when I climb. Just enough grip when they are wet.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
They should be taped up to where you want them taped or need them taped. Once you settle on to where yer gonna run the tape, then you can decide whether or not to use a Camelback, wear black socks, go with short or long, uhm, shorts........or whatever other pressing issues the fashion cognesceti need you to take a side on.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a question about the exposed area of these and similar bars. Because of the glossy finish on these bars, is there any problem of them becoming slick with sweat. Maybe not a problem with gloves, but some riders do not use gloves and I just wonder if this is a problem?

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
GW1 said:
I have a question about the exposed area of these and similar bars. Because of the glossy finish on these bars, is there any problem of them becoming slick with sweat. Maybe not a problem with gloves, but some riders do not use gloves and I just wonder if this is a problem?
The top is slick but the bars include some adhesive backed sandpaper stuff to put on the underneath of the top section. The underneath section is concave and your fingers fit there if you climb on the bar tops and the sandpaper tape helps with the grip. I am bigbill and live on the island of Oahu with all it's warm humid glory and really sweat up the bars and have had no problems with slip. Don't try to rest your bare forearms on the tops though. Here is the only shot that I had on the laptop.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
alienator said:
They should be taped up to where you want them taped or need them taped. Once you settle on to where yer gonna run the tape, then you can decide whether or not to use a Camelback, wear black socks, go with short or long, uhm, shorts........or whatever other pressing issues the fashion cognesceti need you to take a side on.
Yeah that works if you're only concerned with your own bike.

There were 4 bikes being assembled and displayed with KWings, gotta be consistant.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
I have the Zipp B2 Contour flat top bars....

and mine are wrapped all the way across the top like any other bar.
They are tnot as wide and the FSA but same concept. Since I really don't use the tops, I might remove the tape to save weight.

Wrap them to were you need them. If you don't ride in the drops, leave those exposed and wrap just the tops.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Just around the Curve

I wrap my bars to just around the curve. Having the tops unfinished is not too slippery if you wear gloves. It looks great and is extremely comfortable.

·
Registered
61 Posts
No tape at all?

The orthodoxy says "they are handlebars, therefore you must tape them." Are there arguments pro/con for not taping at all? I've always taped, but only because I've always taped...

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Stock and Custom

bg. said:
There were 4 bikes being assembled and displayed with KWings, gotta be consistant.
Then go around the bend to where the flats start like your buddy told you to. If a customer only wants up to the levers he can unwrap the unwanted portion. If a customer wants them wrapped up the flats then it is already done. You can always go shorter but never longer.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
bg. said:
Yeah that works if you're only concerned with your own bike.

Why? There are, apparently, two different preferences for wrapping the things. Why not show the two different methods so the customers can see what they prefer? Customers might like seeing choices.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,259 Posts
I tape my flat bars all the way up, traditional style. It's more comfortable. I don't give a damn about style.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts