Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a new bike soon, and might go with Shimano for cost reasons. Old bike was Chorus.

Some bikes come equipped with Ultegra 10-speed chainsets (6600). Some some with "FSA k-force (or SLK) megaexo" mouthfuls.

Does the FSA unit have ANY advantage besides the 'bling factor' of carbon? It seems to be heavier AND more expensive, but use a similar BB design.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Argentius said:
I'm getting a new bike soon, and might go with Shimano for cost reasons. Old bike was Chorus.

Some bikes come equipped with Ultegra 10-speed chainsets (6600). Some some with "FSA k-force megaexo" mouthfuls.

Does the FSA unit have ANY advantage besides the 'bling factor' of carbon? It seems to be heavier AND more expensive, but use a similar BB design.
Nope. FSA cranks are almost always much heavier than they claim, and their not particularly stiff. Now, Stronglight or Time cranks are pretty damned nice....at least their light and relatively stiff. Both of 'em now make an integrated BB version, with the Time flavor being available in compact form as well. While not the lightest, Truvativ CF cranks are stiff and pretty-ish.

You could go hog-wild and drop a $1000 for THM Claviculas.......520g complete w/ rings. They've got a CF BB axle and are stiffer than Dura Ace cranks......but they're also a bit pricey. They look like the CF incarnation of sex.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I guess it depends on what you compare them to. Compared to the stock cranks on my R700, the FSA is about 9 million times stiffer. I have the SLK compact. I really like it. I don't know the weight, but the bike is still sub-18 with no exotic parts (and minus the aero bars).

I really dig the new DA compact though. Talk about bling. I can't comment on the super bling Clavicula's and such.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
I had the SLK Mega Exos and was really suprised at just how poor the quality was, broken chain teeth, low quality clear coat. I was far from happy. My Pulsions are much better, not to mention 260 grams lighter :)

K

1 - 5 of 5 Posts