Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some rider response on the new FSA RD 600 wheels. I've read most everything I can find online, which isn't much. I'm also looking for some real photos of them. I'm thinking of trying them out but would like to hear what others have to say first. If not, I may be the lab rat for them.
Yes, I've searched....that is why I'm posting now. Please offer up any info on these wheels if you are familiar with them.

Photos welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Staton

· Registered
1,860 Posts
3 flange hubs?

TeamStaton said:
I'm looking for some rider response on the new FSA RD 600 wheels. I've read most everything I can find online, which isn't much. I'm also looking for some real photos of them. I'm thinking of trying them out but would like to hear what others have to say first. If not, I may be the lab rat for them.
Yes, I've searched....that is why I'm posting now. Please offer up any info on these wheels if you are familiar with them.
Aren't these one of the wheel sets which use 3 flange hubs (1/3 of the spokes are attached to a central flange in the middle of the hub)? This design concept only creates problems, without solving any. I'd stay away from these wheels.

· Registered
178 Posts
have them, ride them, love them

i bought them for the reasonable price, low weight, good reputation of FSA, the fact that they weren't mavics, and finally because they looked pretty cool. whether the third flange really makes a difference depends on whose wheel theory you believe. the simple truth is that for a 200lb rider who's relatively gentle on wheels these perform very well. they roll fast, cut the wind, and are not overly harsh. the bonus is that i've never seen another pair on the road and get complements and questions whenever i show up for a ride or at the LBS. swap-able freehub body if you ever change your mind on components too.

· Registered
21,834 Posts
Belief in theories

jhenry4 said:
i bought them for the reasonable price, low weight, good reputation of FSA, the fact that they weren't mavics, and finally because they looked pretty cool. whether the third flange really makes a difference depends on whose wheel theory you believe.
Uh, no. There is no theory (other than the one from the marketing department) that can suggest that this is a superior design, in any way, to a conventional two-flange hub.

· Registered
178 Posts
theory's are like a$$holes

i never said it was a superior design, merely an effective one. the central flange and the hiding of a certain percentage of spokes from the wind may make no difference what so ever....but they don't hurt the performance of the wheels. you may argue that you could make a stronger wheel by moving all the spokes to the traditional flanges or that you could make the wheel lighter by removing the ineffective spokes but the wheels themselves are solid, roll smoothly, and stay true. all this while costing much less than other wheels of the same weight.

· Registered
21,834 Posts
Self-fullfilling?

jhenry4 said:
but they don't hurt the performance of the wheels. you may argue that you could make a stronger wheel by moving all the spokes to the traditional flanges or that you could make the wheel lighter by removing the ineffective spokes.
Yup, that would be exactly the arguments. And given that the wheel would indeed be either lighter or stronger with a conventional design, I would say that the center flange and its associated spokes do indeed hurt the performance of the wheels.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.