Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

FSA Scatto Quick Release Question

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Stogaguy 
#1 ·
Is anyone familiar with this particular QR? I have horizontal dropouts and thus don't want an exposed cam design, per Sheldon Brown's advice. From the looks of it, the FSA Scatto is not an exposed cam design and should work fine with horizontal dropouts, no?

View attachment 126808

#2 ·
koch said:
Is anyone familiar with this particular QR? I have horizontal dropouts and thus don't want an exposed cam design, per Sheldon Brown's advice. From the looks of it, the FSA Scatto is not an exposed cam design and should work fine with horizontal dropouts, no?

View attachment 126808
Err, it's definitely an "exposed cam QR." That thing on the right, that's exposed? That's the cam. Also, wasn't there a big recall on those?

If I were you, I would just get some/any Shimano or Campy skewers of almost any vintage or version.

#4 ·
I'm currently running the FSA Scattos. By Sheldon's definition, these are definitely an "enclosed" design since the actual cam mechanism is hidden inside the metal housing. By contrast, the FSA Series 2 would be an "exposed" cam.

Very pleased with the action, feel and holding power of these QRs. Granted, I do not have horizontal dropouts. But, using them for a pretty demanding application (CX bike w/ front disc brake). So far, zero problems and I'm 100% satisfied.

My only gripe is they are rather heavy (mine weighed 70g Front/76g Rear) but that's the penalty of having something very robust. The Scattos should work great for your application!

Hope this helps,

Paul

#5 ·
Paul1PA said:
I'm currently running the FSA Scattos. By Sheldon's definition, these are definitely an "enclosed" design since the actual cam mechanism is hidden inside the metal housing. By contrast, the FSA Series 2 would be an "exposed" cam.
That's what I thought as well. Hmmm, any other thoughts?

Thanks Paul

#6 ·
+1 for Shimano or Campy

I have to throw in with Applesauce here. If bulletproof reliability and very high clamping force are the goals, just go with any classically designed Shimano or Campagnolo skewer. They are tired and true. The worst thing that will happen is that you may add a couple of grams of weight to your bike. Unless you personally are as lean as you can be, this is a complete non-issue. IMHO the best any other brand can argue is that they are just as good as Shimano and Campy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.