Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently replaced my Dura Ace crankset on my Scott carbon bike w/ a FSA slk mega exo compact carbon crankset. I have had issues w/ the left side crank arm moving on the spindle. My LBS re-installed it and the same issue happened again. They contacted FSA and they said the 2005 cranksets have had some problems w/ some frames. Something about the spacing on the bb shell being 0.5 mm off. Has anyone heard this or had the same problem. Neither FSA or Scott is taking ownership of the issue.

· Registered
486 Posts
I had the same problem on my Orbea Opal. If you read the reviews of the SLK crankset on this site, you will see others are having the same issue on several different frame brands. I have to think it's a design flaw rather than a bottom bracket shell width problem. The reviews of the K-Force crankset also show a pattern of problems, but I'm not sure whether that is a different type of problem.

My LBS cleaned the threads and put Loctite on. I still need to do some more riding to see if it's going to hold. If not, I'll probably give up and put a Chorus carbon crankset on.

· Registered
5,358 Posts
Torque to 35 ft-lbs. That is the value I got from FSA. My LBS-installed SLK left crank arm came loose, and the LBS tightened it just a little, telling me that doing it too tight would kill the bearings. But there's a torque value printed on the cap next to the allen bolt, so I asked FSA. 35 ft-lbs is the answer I got. I torqued it to that and it's been fine since.

· LITTLE BOY/BIG BODY
17 Posts
loc-tite rules

Running FSA on my Orbea Orca and have ran into some loosening of the crank arm after couple hundred miles after initial install. I emailed FSA and they suggest the torque value as recommended with a little of the blue loc-tite. its been about 9 months since then and I have had no problems with the arm since. I also have removed the arms and cups since first install and re-installed with out adding the loc-tite and have not had any problems since second install. I did recut the the BB shell before re-install and am very pleased and confident in the cranks.

· Registered
52 Posts
same here. the fixing bolt kept coming loose. i finally got fed up and replaced it with a DA crankset. a while later, i talked to another guy that also had the same problem. he was able to get FSA to send him a new (improved?) fixing bolt that took care of it.

· LITTLE BOY/BIG BODY
17 Posts
yea, i installed the rubber spacers and when i removed them i also reinstalled with a light coat of silicone grease. But like i had mentioned after a light coat of blue loc-tite i have not yet had any difficulties or had to perform maintainance.

· Registered
432 Posts
I had the left crank arm come off my bike while riding yesterday. I have the Gossamer model. Same mechanical construction, however. I have less than 600 miles on my crankset. A month or so ago I noticed my left crank arm was loose, so I tightened it and thought nothing of it. At any rate, I was easily pedaling along when I thought my chain came off the ring. I heard a clink, clink, looked down and saw the crank arm hanging off my shoe. I lost my fixing bolt, though. That must have fallen off earlier.I got the crank arm back on and tightened the clamping bolts and carefully road to my LBS.

My LBS replaced the crank and told me if this one gives me problems (and he told me to check it frequently) that he'll change it out to a Shimano crank for me. Apparently he is not pleased with the lack of support FSA is providing to customers lately.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.