Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Bianchi has a FSA Orbit C-40-CF-ACB threadless headset and was not feeling smooth on the ride today. I took off the stem and dropped the fork to take a look and the sealed bearings seemed really dirty. Coincidentally, I had ridden in the rain over the weekend and the splash gets directed straight at the lower headset.

Are these bearings serviceable? They look to have very narrow seals. I cleaned everything up; cups and bearings and covered all with new grease. I don't believe a replacement headset to be very expensive, so maybe this is just a disposable item? I've had threaded Campagnolo headsets last many years, while this Bianchi I have only had about 4 years.

·
Registered
511 Posts
> Are these bearings serviceable?
They are if you are able to get them apart without damage, just clean and inspect everything for signs of wear and how it feels to determine what's needed.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like I can get the MR121 and MR127 sealed bearing replacements. All the other surfaces seem fine.

·
Registered
21,621 Posts
My Bianchi has a FSA Orbit C-40-CF-ACB threadless headset and was not feeling smooth on the ride today. I took off the stem and dropped the fork to take a look and the sealed bearings seemed really dirty. Coincidentally, I had ridden in the rain over the weekend and the splash gets directed straight at the lower headset.

Are these bearings serviceable? They look to have very narrow seals. I cleaned everything up; cups and bearings and covered all with new grease. I don't believe a replacement headset to be very expensive, so maybe this is just a disposable item? I've had threaded Campagnolo headsets last many years, while this Bianchi I have only had about 4 years.
Most would simply replace the bearings if they are gritty or binding. It is usually possible to pry the seals off the bearing assemblies with a sharp edge (Exacto knife, Stanley knife, etc), being careful not to damage the seals. Flush out the bearings with solvent (WD-40 spray works well) and then repack with grease by pressing it into the bearing assembly with your fingers.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I learned that I can replace the full headset for $2 more than the bearings alone.

Also, Kerry I will first try your suggestion of lifting the seals, flushing the bearings and regreasing them. I’ve certainly done that with cartridge hub bearings. These seals just seem so delicate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts