Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright gang,
Here's an interesting one. I've got '04 Campy Record drivetrain and I'd love to have some great cranks, but I don't feel like spending $800 for Record Carbon cranks, so here are my options FSA Carbon Superlight vs '04 Shimano Dura-Ace. PLEASE don't turn this into a Campy vs Shimano talk.

I'm just trying to find some differences/thoughts from using FSA Carbon Superlights vs '04 Shimano Dura-Ace cranks.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Cranks

Paco said:
Alright gang,
Here's an interesting one. I've got '04 Campy Record drivetrain and I'd love to have some great cranks, but I don't feel like spending $800 for Record Carbon cranks, so here are my options FSA Carbon Superlight vs '04 Shimano Dura-Ace. PLEASE don't turn this into a Campy vs Shimano talk.

I'm just trying to find some differences/thoughts from using FSA Carbon Superlights vs '04 Shimano Dura-Ace cranks.

Thanks in advance.
So, what's wrong with the Record cranks?

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
apples and oragnes...

You're comparing a Campy carbon crank to an Aluminum DA crank. Others wanted to know why you're ruling out the aluminum Record crank. A lot of folks would cringe at the thought of a Shimano crank with Record.

The FSA cranks are reasonably priced and nicely made. The DA crank has got to be the stiffest, but there's no proof that it improves performance. Check out www.aebikes.com for low prices on FSA cranks.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Paco said:
Alright gang,
PLEASE don't turn this into a Campy vs Shimano talk.
you knew that wouldn't happen.
to answer your original question, something practically no one managed to do, the FSAs will be lighter overall but less stiff. see here: http://forums13.consumerreview.com/[email protected]@.efd8173

FSA's new K-Force crankset is coming fairly soon, and it will be around 465g claimed. I would probably go with the FSA; I don't think the additional stiffness in the DA setup would do you much good. neither crank is a noodle by any stretch of the imagination.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.