Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a powertap last week and need to do my 20 minute FTP baseline. Talking with one of the guys in my club who also uses power, he advised me to do it on rollers for a consistent measurement. From my point of view an indoor test would seem to be easier than doing it on the road.

Any statistics or data that says a FTP should or should not be done on rollers?

Thanks

· Cycling Coach
1,734 Posts
obiwan kenobi said:
I just picked up a powertap last week and need to do my 20 minute FTP baseline. Talking with one of the guys in my club who also uses power, he advised me to do it on rollers for a consistent measurement. From my point of view an indoor test would seem to be easier than doing it on the road.

Thanks
Suggest you do both indoor and outdoor tests and see how different the power output is for you.

Some people cannot generate the same power indoors, some people can. There are many factors:
http://alex-cycle.blogspot.com/2009/01/turbocharged-training.html

· Banned
7,756 Posts
obiwan kenobi said:

Thanks
I've found that I can't develop as high a 20 minute FTP on rollers as I can outdoors (by quite a bit). Even with a big fan going, the windows open, and a TDF video going on the flat screen. I have no real idea why! The good news is that you will be able to compare your current roller numbers with your future roller numbers to chart your progress. Just don't read much into the comparison with outdoor numbers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.