Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Pack Fodder.
1,871 Posts
This is a danger to public health case, based on the laws in place at the time, not a doping case. Therefore, given the prosecutors already have clients giving testimony about the procedures in place, naming others is not necessary to the case.

Do I buy it? Nope, but that's what they're selling. Fuentes is trying to burn the house down, the courts (and others) are in damage control mode and are trying to keep this a "cycling only" affair, and the implicated riders themselves aren't going out of their way to help. I'm betting that despite all of the protracted build up to this one, it ends with a whimper.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Actually, Fuentes didn't offer to list riders. He THREATENED the court with listing all the riders. He basically said "if you want, I'll just say everything," because he knows that's exactly what they fear.
I don't think he wants to bring the whole Spanish sports system down, he just wants to avoid being sentenced. He's just reminding them that he's the one really in control, and if he wants to, he can do it. They'll clear him, and he'll magically forget about all the names.

That being said, for the sake of bringing down Spanish arrogance in sports a bit, I'd love to see their major sporting achievements from the past 10 years get shut down.

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
Did he work with any tennis players? Hmmm.

On the other hand, there is an issue of doctor/patient confidentiality. When involved in a doping investigation, should someone's medical files be open to public scrutiny?
Not sure what kind of patient confidentiality laws Spain has. In the US, that info can be requested if in the court room after following certain procedures.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
Fuentes had allegedly told a prison informant when he was arrested as part of a second raid that he had information that could strip Spain of its World Cup and Uefa championship.
Fuentes has been using this ace in the hole for years now. He better be careful. It's almost surprising somebody hasn't found him dead lying in a ditch somewhere yet. Then again, I seem to recall him saying at one point he had passed the information on.

·
Registered
426 Posts
If Fuentes is ACTUALLY smart, he has a good lawyer who has stored copies of all the information he has on his clients, and who will release them if anything inconvenient happens to him.
Given the level of corruption in Spanish local & regional government and justice, I think in his situation that kind of movie style paranoid preventive action is warranted.

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I hadn't even thought about soccer. Man, that could cause WW3 in Europe if they start dropping names on that sport. They take that very seriously in Europe, and now that players have forgone nationalism for the almighty dollar, there are players all over Europe that could go down.

As for doctor patienct confidentiality...I am pretty sure he will lose his licesne to practice medicine. Not sure he would really care about the confidentiality at that point.

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
I hadn't even thought about soccer. Man, that could cause WW3 in Europe if they start dropping names on that sport. They take that very seriously in Europe, and now that players have forgone nationalism for the almighty dollar, there are players all over Europe that could go down.

As for doctor patienct confidentiality...I am pretty sure he will lose his licesne to practice medicine. Not sure he would really care about the confidentiality at that point.
I hope he releases the full list of his patients - would go a long way towards unravaling doping in Cycling as well as elsewhere. But I suspect a Spanish Court will order that to be sealed. But he carried out or aided doping in other countries, such as France, any possibility for prosecution there I wonder?

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Actually, Fuentes didn't offer to list riders. He THREATENED the court with listing all the riders. He basically said "if you want, I'll just say everything," because he knows that's exactly what they fear.
I don't think he wants to bring the whole Spanish sports system down, he just wants to avoid being sentenced. He's just reminding them that he's the one really in control, and if he wants to, he can do it. They'll clear him, and he'll magically forget about all the names.
Bingo! They can't handle the truth. I've lost count how many times this case has collapsed already. They tried the medical endangerment angle before without success so I'm not sure how or why it was resurrected again....unless the economy is even closer to collapse than everyone is letting on and the implosion of the entire EU sporting world would distract people from rioting.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.