Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologize in advance for posting this here, but I really respect the folks in the NORCAL forum so....

I am knew to the road bike world. Have a few years MTB experience. I will try to cut to the chase. After extensive research and many rides I am between a Scott CR-1 bike and a Fuji carbon bike. I will not even list the exact models because i am open to a couple of levels on both sides (in terms of components), but both will have pretty good stuff (105 or higher) and are around 2k - 2500 price point.

The reason for this post is I really like the Scott, but have come across some really good deals at a different bike shop on Fuji. In terms of wheels and components I am finding the comparable fuji for several hundred less (almost 500), and the shop is throwing in some other incentives like cash back to be used in the store.

If the bikes truly were apples and apples, the fuji would be a no brainer due to the savings I am talking about. BUT, the guys i am working with on the Scott stuff are telling me these bikes are not even in the same ball park...that the Scott is a far superior carbon frame and that especially with me being a bigger guy, looking for stiffness, it isn't even close.

Anybody out there that can give me their thoughts on this, it is appreciated as I am trying to pull the trigger this weekend.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
rbadger28 said:
If the bikes truly were apples and apples, the fuji would be a no brainer due to the savings I am talking about. BUT, the guys i am working with on the Scott stuff are telling me these bikes are not even in the same ball park...that the Scott is a far superior carbon frame and that especially with me being a bigger guy, looking for stiffness, it isn't even close.
Lies, unless a test ride on both proved that to yourself. Fuji's are underrated.

I would say get you bucks' worth, but I can't decide for you if the Scott would feel much better to the point that the price difference was offset. I'm a lighter rider, and can predict I'd barely be able to tell the difference.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Model # on the Fuji?
Really my opinion is Scott hands down. But I would also go with the R SERIES.

·
Registered
357 Posts
In an ideal world, it would be nice if the two shops fit you on the bikes and let you take them out for at least a few miles. You might be able to get a better sense of what feels right for you than what Scott's marketing department wants you to believe. It's very important that they fit you correctly, though, because if one bike is not set up right, obviously the other will feel much better.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well, I am biased since I have a Scott, and absolutely love it. This is after coming off an older Bianchi and Specialized, both Aluminum.

I will offer you this, I have a '08 CR1 Pro and its a Medium 54CM frame. Not sure your size, but if you want to come ride it you are more than welcome. Its up to you. Only doing this because I wish I had opportunities to ride more bikes when I was choosing. Its an investment. Ride as many bikes for as long as possible before buying.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Ventruck said:
Lies, unless a test ride on both proved that to yourself. Fuji's are underrated.

I would say get you bucks' worth, but I can't decide for you if the Scott would feel much better to the point that the price difference was offset. I'm a lighter rider, and can predict I'd barely be able to tell the difference.
I have a 09 Fuji SST 1.0. I haven't ridden any recent Scotts but the Fuji is pretty d*mn nice. No experience with the model you're looking at. You really need to try both bikes and get the one that 'speaks' to you fit-wise. If they both feel great, go with the one that's better aesthetically speaking.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts