Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wonder why the SSTs have been changed for the new model year. Seat post is the big difference, especially SST 2 and 3. Was there a problem with the original 2010 model?

New color's OK for the SST 1 but not sure about the 2, but that's just cosmetic. I was thinking about trying one of these out.

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
The 2010 2.0 has an integrated seat mast. The 3.0 was a normal style of adjustable seat post.

I think LBS employee's weren't too thrilled about cutting them. One cut too much, and new frame time.

When our Fuji Rep stops by (hopefully soon) , I'll inquire about that.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
frdfandc said:
The 2010 2.0 has an integrated seat mast. The 3.0 was a normal style of adjustable seat post.

I think LBS employee's weren't too thrilled about cutting them. One cut too much, and new frame time.

When our Fuji Rep stops by (hopefully soon) , I'll inquire about that.
I can see the problem with the cuts! Is there actually no adjustability once that cut is made?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mainebikah said:
I can see the problem with the cuts! Is there actually no adjustability once that cut is made?
ALWAYS ALWAYS MEASURE TWICE, cut once. In my case, I think we measured 10 times before cutting.
As far a adjustability, local wrench said that the cut portion of the seat tube can serve as "spacers" if there is a need to increase saddle height. Just cut to the required size then insert into the seat clamp (i.e. "sandwiched" between the seat tube and the seat clamp)
I read in this forum that you have about 2cm of adjustability.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jzm said:
ALWAYS ALWAYS MEASURE TWICE, cut once. In my case, I think we measured 10 times before cutting.
As far a adjustability, local wrench said that the cut portion of the seat tube can serve as "spacers" if there is a need to increase saddle height. Just cut to the required size then insert into the seat clamp (i.e. "sandwiched" between the seat tube and the seat clamp)
I read in this forum that you have about 2cm of adjustability.
2 cm of adjustability isn't much. I guess I can see why the seat mast would be a slight problem. Leaves the bike pretty much a one size rider. If you sell it, someone about the same size or smaller would be the only candidates. Longer legs need not apply, sort of thing.

Would be tough to get a proper test ride on new bike, if LBS didn't want to cut mast to fit. Wouldn't blame them.

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
The seat post cap has approx 2cm of adjustability. However, if the seat post cap isn't fully seated onto the seat mast, then the seat and cap rock forward and aft.

I wouldn't trust using cut portions of the seat mast as spacers. That can only cause issues if they move around and/or break.

Yeah, test rides would be a PITA. I know I wouldn't cut one down for some one just test riding it. But that is why you would test ride a SST 3.0. It uses a normal adjustable seat post.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Yes, keep the cut part

jzm said:
I did this with my Scott Plasma. Absolutely no issues with it. Essentially it is like a threadless stem and spacers. If the cuts are straight, there are no issues with rocking. The load is displaced. But definitely ask the shop for the cut bit just in case.

This said, integrated seat masts certainly look cool and may have some performance benefits. But my guess is the risks of resale value and "accidents" out weigh (pun intended) the cool factor.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Is the 2011 1.0 actually different to the 2010 1.0??? The frames look the same. I've noticed that the 2011 is made from D-6 carbon and the 2010 is C-7 but other than that are there any differences regarding frame design?

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
Other than the actual carbon make up, I did not read about any design differences.

The new D-6 carbon is the same make up used in the D6 TT bike. It uses properties from both C10 and C7.

I think Fuji has ran into a bunch of issues with the C10 carbon, so they had to make a change for the better.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
frdfandc said:
Other than the actual carbon make up, I did not read about any design differences.

The new D-6 carbon is the same make up used in the D6 TT bike. It uses properties from both C10 and C7.

I think Fuji has ran into a bunch of issues with the C10 carbon, so they had to make a change for the better.
What kind of issues did they have with C10? Something I thought I noticed was a slight uptick on the published weight of the 2011 SST 2 on their site. So new carbon composition might explain, althought there are some parts on the bike from newly acquired Oval.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Additional SST 1.0 Information

I own a Fuji sst 1.0 and was concerned about the seat adjustment prior to buying it. I found out that if you do cut the seat mast a little short you can use head spacers 1 1/8 size to make adjustments up to 30cm. I found this out from the fuji site, customer service. I'm not sure why they dont tell give this information out, but it is good to know. I love my 2010 sst 1.0, it rides stiff but is so smooth and under 15 pounds feels so light.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I own an SST 2.0 2010 model that I upgraded with a Dura Ace 7900 drive train and Reynolds Assault Wheels, FSA K wing Bars.

The 1st frame I had was cut too short, and my LBS (Performance) was great enough to order me a brand new replacement frame at NO COST TO ME.
It was amazing they didn't even hesitate to help. Say what you want about performance, but I don't know any bike shop anywhere that would offer that level of accountability.

Just my humble opinion but the aesthetics of the 2011 2.0 is a huge down grade. The white 2.0 with red and black assents look stunning and really catches the eyes.
Huge down grade as well going from Mavic Kysrium Elites to Oval Alloy wheels.

If anyone can get a 2010 2.0 on clearance get it now vs spending more on the inferior 2011 2.0

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
docwayner said:
I own an SST 2.0 2010 model that I upgraded with a Dura Ace 7900 drive train and Reynolds Assault Wheels, FSA K wing Bars.

The 1st frame I had was cut too short, and my LBS (Performance) was great enough to order me a brand new replacement frame at NO COST TO ME.
It was amazing they didn't even hesitate to help. Say what you want about performance, but I don't know any bike shop anywhere that would offer that level of accountability.

Just my humble opinion but the aesthetics of the 2011 2.0 is a huge down grade. The white 2.0 with red and black assents look stunning and really catches the eyes.

If anyone can get a 2010 2.0 on clearance get it now vs spending more on the inferior 2011 2.0
Performance is a great outfit. Have to agree with you on 2010 SST 2.0 aesthetics, too. I did got to our Fuji LBS and check out the bikes. Very nice looking in white with red and black. Haven't seen the 2011 in the flesh yet, but the pictures don't impress.

Tell us how your SST 2.0 rides and your likes and gripes, if any. Would like to hear from someone that owns one.

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
Here is just an insight onto the wheel difference.

Advanced Sports Inc purchased Oval Products last year. So now all their bikes will pretty much be spec'd with Oval wheels, stems, bars, seat posts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Tell us how your SST 2.0 rides and your likes and gripes, if any. Would like to hear from someone that owns one.[/QUOTE]

Hi Mainbikah,

I absolutely love my SST 2.0. SST stands for Super Stiff Team and stiff it is. I would say that is one of the highlights of the bike. The junctions on the bike are just massive, head tube, down tube, and the fork is quite beefy. The bottom bracket is nice as well, even though its not a BB30, they use a Shimano specific press in bearing system that they call BB86.
Bottom line is the bottom bracket is very stiff.

Handling on descents is great, the bike holds its lines very well. This is where the added stiffness comes into play.
The added stiffness of the BB really helps with climbing efforts as well. Power transfer is great on the climbs, and of course out of the saddle I feel no flex at all. I weight 153 lbs so as a test I let a friend who weighs in at 215 pounds mash away up a local climb and he couldn't even flex the bike.

On the other hand this bike is NOT a plush, upright positioned, century bike. Its designed to go fast with aggression.

Stiffness with the 2.0 model comes at the expense of not being a feather light frame.
Though I never had the chance to weight the frame itself, my current build with Dura Ace drive train, Easton EA 90 SLX wheelset, FSA carbon bars, speedplay pedals weights in at 16.9 lbs.
Not super heavy but not super light either. Perhaps the SST 1.0 is much lighter but it also cost a pretty penny more as well.

The frame also has some pretty aero features which I'm really not fully convinced makes a huge difference or not but looks really sweet (flat triangular top tube, aero integrated seatpost), haven't heard much press if Fuji tested their design in a wind tunnel or not.

Last check my LBS Performance in Santa Monica, CA was selling the bike for 2700 plus 15% off.
This is an incredible price point for this bike with full 6700 ultegra and Mavic Kysium Elites.
This bike has gotta be one of the best "Bang for One's Buck" that I've seen.
The only problem is that the 2010's are in very low supply for sizes.
2011 is a down grade now with oval wheels, also for 2011 only the 1.0 will have a integrated seat post, the 2.0 now has the same seat post that came with the 2010 3.0

I would recommend getting a 2010 2.0 while they last, also since the 2011 are coming in you should be able to get a killer deal on the 2010's.
Below is a low resolution pic of my bike.

·
Registered
292 Posts
:blush2: I just saw today your old SSt2.0 at Fountain valley store,,is that right? men,the seatpost was cut really short its painfull to see the UJI name in there F is gone,,..:thumbsup:

docwayner said:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
docwayner said:
Tell us how your SST 2.0 rides and your likes and gripes, if any. Would like to hear from someone that owns one.
Hi Mainbikah,

I absolutely love my SST 2.0. SST stands for Super Stiff Team and stiff it is. I would say that is one of the highlights of the bike. The junctions on the bike are just massive, head tube, down tube, and the fork is quite beefy. The bottom bracket is nice as well, even though its not a BB30, they use a Shimano specific press in bearing system that they call BB86.
Bottom line is the bottom bracket is very stiff.

Handling on descents is great, the bike holds its lines very well. This is where the added stiffness comes into play.
The added stiffness of the BB really helps with climbing efforts as well. Power transfer is great on the climbs, and of course out of the saddle I feel no flex at all. I weight 153 lbs so as a test I let a friend who weighs in at 215 pounds mash away up a local climb and he couldn't even flex the bike.

On the other hand this bike is NOT a plush, upright positioned, century bike. Its designed to go fast with aggression.

Stiffness with the 2.0 model comes at the expense of not being a feather light frame.
Though I never had the chance to weight the frame itself, my current build with Dura Ace drive train, Easton EA 90 SLX wheelset, FSA carbon bars, speedplay pedals weights in at 16.9 lbs.
Not super heavy but not super light either. Perhaps the SST 1.0 is much lighter but it also cost a pretty penny more as well.

The frame also has some pretty aero features which I'm really not fully convinced makes a huge difference or not but looks really sweet (flat triangular top tube, aero integrated seatpost), haven't heard much press if Fuji tested their design in a wind tunnel or not.

Last check my LBS Performance in Santa Monica, CA was selling the bike for 2700 plus 15% off.
This is an incredible price point for this bike with full 6700 ultegra and Mavic Kysium Elites.
This bike has gotta be one of the best "Bang for One's Buck" that I've seen.
The only problem is that the 2010's are in very low supply for sizes.
2011 is a down grade now with oval wheels, also for 2011 only the 1.0 will have a integrated seat post, the 2.0 now has the same seat post that came with the 2010 3.0

I would recommend getting a 2010 2.0 while they last, also since the 2011 are coming in you should be able to get a killer deal on the 2010's.
[/QUOTE]

Excellent write-up and info docwayner, thanks for taking the time! And a great picture of your bike, too. Those wheels look like they were made for the SST 2.0. Can't get that look from the factory most of the time. Hope the SLXs look as good. Weight 's not bad at 16.9. The bike looks aero, but you don't notice any advantage?

What did you ride before you bought your SST 2.0? All the listings I've seen for left over 2010s show bikes for people that own long legs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
bon_gabs said:
:blush2: I just saw today your old SSt2.0 at Fountain valley store,,is that right? men,the seatpost was cut really short its painfull to see the UJI name in there F is gone,,..:thumbsup:
Not quite sure if that bike at Fountain Valley was my old frame or not. I was told that the day my replacement frame came in and they switched over my drive train, they sold the old frame with new wheels and Ultegra 6700 groupo to another customer. I would imagine at a pretty discounted price since their was a few signs of wear at around the bottom braket.

Yeah they cut it way way too short, but made good on it so I'll continue to support my local Performance shops. After all after buying the SST 2.0 I went ahead and bought a Fuji D6 Pro TT bike from them as well 1 week later.

Yeah UJI is no good it definitely should say FUJI :)
The new frame was cut perfect and it does say FUJI on the seat post. The picture attached shows the replacement frame, you can kind of see that the seat post is significantly higher, the difference is 4 fold in how much power I'm getting. Big thanks to Ron Peterson of Peterson training.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Your bike looks great, and probably would look great anyway with any wheel set on it. I'll have to spend some quality time on the internet this weekend to see if someone has an SST that would fit. $2700 is a steal for this bike. LBS said that he might have a lead on one. He also expects to see a new 2011 SST 2.0 this weekend. So I'll go take a look, if it comes in.

Our riding weather is not looking good for the next week or so. Turning colder and has been wetter more often already than last year at this time. Oh, well. We were really got spoile by last year. Probably once in a lifetime thing to ride every month of the year up here.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts